Friday, December 26, 2008

Missing Jeremy

Every year at Christmas we pull out all our Christmas ornaments and special trinkets and reminisce about where all our loot came from. This year, we pulled out just a small amount of Christmas treasures and as we did, I came across some things Jeremy had given me over the years. I offered to give them back to him a few years back, but he said he was not ready for them yet. Stephenie has hers - with the exception of a few ornaments – and I will someday make her a memory book – but today, I was missing Jeremy because he was so far away. As with every other year, you wish your family could all be in one place to enjoy the holiday, but having a part of them seems to make you long to have them near you even more.

In kindergarten, Jeremy made me this bell. It is amazing that it has lasted all these years – it is simply a Styrofoam cup with foil over it, yarn and ribbon to hang it from. I love it! Steph made a paper plate wreath for me one year – it disintegrated finally because it was a paper plate with construction paper, but I cherish it.






In first grade, Jeremy made me this snowman. Does it tell you how long I have loved snowmen? Jeremy is now 26 years old. We nursed this little guy through the years, carefully putting him back together year after year. Finally one year, Steve put him in a make shift storage box to store him. For a few years he took him out. It was not long before we realized he was so fragile if we removed him, he would disintegrate. Now he is permanently in his little box – not a pretty one, but somehow we do not see the plastic container – we see the lovely snowman Jeremy built for mom.





In third grade, Jeremy came home and told me he was going to do his Christmas shopping at school the next day. I questioned him about it and I found out that the school was hosting a shopping spree day – undoubtedly as a money earning project for the school, but I thought it was a pretty nifty idea. I gave him a few bucks for his gifts and forgot about it. The kids could shop for their loved ones with supervision – and the parents didn’t have to take them out. I was certainly surprised when Jeremy gave me this beautiful red stoned heart necklace. I still wear it every year on Christmas day. What a wonderful gift it has been :-)



Every year I always put a card in the tree for Steve and the kids – and I have done so for many years. One year I was surprised to find a card to ME! When I opened it I immediately started bawling. Jeremy had bought me a nativity scene card. On it he had written that he knew I would love it, but more importantly, that he wanted me to know those cards in the tree were always special to him and that I needed one. I never knew until then how special those cards were.


Stephenie made many wonderful things as well. So did all the other children we have had in our lives. Pulling all of our Christmas boxes out is sure to bring a smile or tear to our face. It is wonderful to remember the small things in life – things that so many others take for granted. I am so blessed to have a family that knows how special all those little things are to each of us.

And as we tuck away our Christmas treasures for another year, we find Raelee’s first snowman to granny. She made it last year for me. I always try to mark the dates on my treasures for future reference. I never want to forget a special gift from a loved one.


Traditions like these are priceless. It does make you miss those who are not with you – even if they are starting their own traditions - you wish they were with you.
Jeremy, we missed you and your family this year. We love you. Anytime you are ready for your treasures – dad will pack them safely and get them to you.
Thanks for the memories kids :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love these pics, Euvah. They are all so special.