Friday, August 2, 2013

My Special Chicken

Everyone has a 'special' chicken, right?  Steph has Lexie, her blind chicken, who is now 2.5 years old.  And very spoiled I might add...


My 'special' chicken is Ella;




I am not sure when we realized Ella was special, but at some point, I realized Ella could get on the roost, but hours after the other chickens were out of the coop, Ella was not.  I would go in to find her and she would be pacing back and forth on the roost, trying to figure out how to jump down 12 inches to the poop board to get out.  

Once I put her off of the roost, she realized there were more obstacles; she had to walk down her little ladder to the floor, then walk through that silly door and then down another little ladder to the ground.

It didn't matter what step she had to do next, rest assured she had lost all the details; each one confused her.  She stares blankly at each new task - and then looks up at us.

For help.

Raelee and I help Ella.  We move her from one place to another, we make sure the other chickens don't pick on her, we make sure we feed her separately, we make sure she gets out in the morning and gets in every evening.  And she knows - she stays close to our feet:



We swing with her:




 Chelsea guards her:

 


 She is sure to be the first to meet new 'guests':




And she loves to cuddle:




And well, she is definitely a 'special' chicken.

She might not be the brightest crayon on the box, but that is what makes her special.

Have you ever seen a chicken cuddle?  Now you have!


No comments: