Saturday, July 27, 2013

Family, Family and More Family


Family reunions.



At some point in my life, I lost my mind. We all know that...

Last year, we went to a family reunion for my husband's family. Near the end of the reunion, they stated they needed someone to host it this year. I proudly held up my hand and said, "We have a big place, with lots of room - we can do it!"  Uncle Weldon, who hosted last year's reunion, said "Yep! You can do it!"



What was I thinking??

When I was doing the planning for HIS family, someone from MY family suggested that we had not had a family reunion in years - we definitely needed to have one.  I thought since I was setting up and getting ready for one family reunion, what would it hurt to have another one?  After talking with Steve and him agreeing he thought we could handle it, we planned on having a family reunion for my family the weekend following his family's reunion.




What was I thinking??

I planned.

I bought food.

I planned some more.

We made games.



I planted a garden. 

You got that, right? In the midst of all the planning, *I* had to plant a garden!

I made invitations.  

I put the family's last name on the front of the invitations.  Boy was that a mistake!  I made the same invitations for both reunions.  I had to be very careful that I sent his to his family's to his family and mine to my family. It was very difficult, but I don't *think* I messed that up, but God only knows.

I made directions.

With my sister, Shari's help, we got a newsletter out.

I made the same newsletter for his family, changed the names and pictures and sent them out.

Refer to 'Boy was that a mistake!"


I bought more food.


Steve took a two week vacation.

We sent up portable carports, borrowed picnic tables, bought food, mowed 10+ acres, cleaned out the shop, cleaned the lean-to, finished the chicken coop, got trash cans out, set up the camper for people to stay in, picked up people at the airport, got the boat ready for adventures, took it out to 'test' it... and we had a family reunion!




It was nice. People jumped in and helped, we visited, we relaxed, we laughed, we grilled and we reminisced.  Then everyone went home.



We wanted to crash.

But, no!  We had a second family reunion coming up the next weekend!

We cleaned, we washed, we changed bedding, we bought food, we took trash to the dump, we picked up people from the airport, we took the boat out because the kids wanted to hydroslide, we cooked... the people rolled in and we visited, we laughed, we grilled, they reminisced and I was a walking zombie.

What was I thinking?


I barely remember a thing about the second reunion. 



It was wonderful seeing all the family again, meeting some for the first time and getting to know everyone.  For both reunions we spent well over $1600 spent, we were extremely grateful to get about $600 in donations back, we worked our backsides off, we laughed, we talked, we met new family, we looked over documents and pictures, we ate, and when they all left...

We picked all the crap up, returned the tables, took down the temporary carport, took people to the airport, cleaned dishes, cleaned house, did laundry, washed the bedding, remade the beds, got the camper ready to store, cleaned the patio, put up lawn chairs, returned warmers, and picked up the games we made.

And then we rested... 

And rested.

And rested some more.

I am still tired!

Someone at each reunion mentioned we needed someone to host the reunions next year.

My brain found a way to function.

I ducked outta sight!



We may never get together as family again, but we had fun!


And all is right in my world now - Steve made it home from South Korea last night!


No comments: