Tuesday, March 19, 2013

First Come the Chicks

It has been a month since I posted! I guess my life is just not as exciting as it was when I was in Singapore. However, I have to say, it is just like I like it - relaxed and comfortable.

I will try to catch you up in the next couple of weeks, but for now... 

I guess we are now true farmers!  We got chicks yesterday!  


Let me introduce them:

This is Mabel:




This is Shelly:



This is Raelee's chick, Margaret:


Check out her hairy legs! I think she needs to shave!



This is Shirley:



And this is Miss Daisy:



She is kinda mixed up!



This is Aunt Bea - can you tell?


  


And this is Tattle Tail... errr... Ali:



Ali lets me know when anything in the coop is not up to par or if her sisters are acting up. She also calls me if I have been quiet too long just to be sure I am still at her beck and call!


And this is Stacy:



I have seven chicks and Raelee has one, but more are coming!  

Steve is building me a chicken coop right now. He took a weeks vacation just to do that... and about a million other things he thinks he can accomplish in that time. I will share pics of the coop soon.


I have picked out chicks that lay different colors of eggs because... well... because I can. I hope this is what my egg cartons will look like very soon:



Now how cool is that?  I can't wait!  Gotta get the chicks a bit bigger, but until then, anticipation... 

If.  They are girls.

We bought them as a straight run at Atwood's Farm Supply, which means that we may have girls and we may have guys. They have a way to hold the chicks that is supposed to be tried and true. Who knows if it will work, but we are going to find out!

Obviously, the names are subject to change...   ;-)

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

stefani said...

Cute! Well except for the hairy legged one. When I was growing up I found that the chickens with the feathered feet were always the meanest. Like chase you around the chicken coop mean.

I never knew that chickens laid colored eggs (other than white or shades of brown). I learn something new everyday.

Unknown said...

They are so cute! I am loving watching them grow up. :) Somehow I think that Margaret will not be mean or aggressive, what do you think? LOL