Monday, October 22, 2012

Best Banana Nut Bread Recipe Ever!

My husband has eaten banana nut bread for years for breakfast.  If I don't have some made, he gets quite disgruntled.  He swears it is the best banana nut bread ever made.  I have raised my kids on it;  Steph loves it as well.  Friends ask for it and jokingly fight over it.  If I leave it off of the Christmas candy trays, I get the evil eye.  Two things must be on that tray; the banana nut bread and the white Christmas candy - if both are not present, we get the evil eye - or the pouty eyes.  Will give the white candy recipe later.  I have no idea what makes the banana nut bread so popular, but I am not complaining.  

Do you want the recipe?  It is super simple and I believe one of the secrets is to us PECANS as opposed to walnuts.  The pecans add a wonderful flavor.


Mouth watering yet?

Here is the recipe:


eb's Banana Nut Bread

½ c margarine
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 c mashed bananas
1 teaspoon soda
3 Tablespoons buttermilk OR 3 T milk mixed with 1 teaspoon vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup cut up PECANS

Melt margarine, mix margarine and sugar, add eggs and mix.  Add remaining ingredients. Fill greased loaf pans a bit over half full and bake in 350 degree oven for one hour.

Let the bread cool for about 15 minutes then take a couple of tablespoons of margarine and put over the top.  I usually just take a dab of margarine, stab it with a fork and run it over the top of the warm bread.  It melts and makes the bread even more yummy.


Let me know if you give it a try!

So now you know  :-)


5 comments:

Cajunrose said...

Just think, when I move up there, you'll have to double what you are making now!!!

Red said...

It is the BESTEST Banana Nut Bread EVER! I am happy that you are giving the recipe to everyone, now they can make their own and leave mine alone!!!!!!
Stephenie, MAKE YOUR OWN!

applesofgold said...

This is the only banana bread recipe that I use. We just went out and picked pecans from our friend's yard. Of course, we have to shell them ourselves, but it's soooo worth it. My first batch of pecans are going into this bread.

Brenda O'Shields said...

LOVE this recipe! Another batch about to go in the oven today. Yummy! Thanks Euvah for sharing!

cajunsis said...

So glad everyone loves it and agrees that it is the best banana nut bread around! Been making a lot lately - and yes, Steph has moved up here!