Saturday, June 25, 2016

Another "Do Nothing" "Turning Twenty" "Crazy Quilt"


Our garden is coming in!  Steve has worked so hard trying to get it back up and running, but we have it!

This is just 
my first pick because we got started late; my surgery and healing delayed it, then the rain, then the heat.  But it is rolling now!






I finished another quilt top a few days ago.  For this quilt, my friend Sharon gave me a lot of the fabric.  She used to work at a fabric store so she has bucket loads of fabric.  Since she had doubles of the same fabric she shared.  As we were sewing it we laughed about the randomness of it.  It became known to us as the "Crazy Quilt":




I might have added a few of the fabrics myself; like the lizards, the cool cats and the gummy bears...




So our conversations went something like this... 

"What are you going to use for the border of that... ummm... crazy quilt?"

"Gosh, I have been trying to figure that out, too.  I don't know, what are you going to use?"


"Ummm, it is so crazy it is going to have to be unique... you know... crazy!"



We each searched through our stockpiles of fabrics, but of course there was none to match our crazy quilt.  What do you do then?  

We shopped... at multiple fabric stores.  But nothing suited us!

I finally settled on this chevron fabric that was IN a quilt at a quilt store, but the owner did not have any more of the fabric, and didn't know the name of it or who designed it...

So I searched online... 


And searched...

Do YOU know how many CHEVRON fabrics there are??

I kept on searching... page 117 (!) of chevron fabrics...

But on page 192 and days of hitting 'next' - I succeeded!  I found THE fabric, paid WAY more than I wanted to, but I got it.   



And I think this Chevron border turned out just right for the craziness of my quilt!



So now you know the story of my "Do Nothing" (yes, it is a Turning 20 Again pattern) "Crazy Quilt."

I have no one in mind for this to go to, but some day, someone will dig through my stash of quilts and claim it as their own.  

Until then, I will smile at my cool cats and lazy lizards and gummy bear baby - the craziness of this quilt just makes me smile.

No comments: