Friday, May 30, 2014

Remember Our Flower Garden?

Well, we finished it and it looked great!  These are taken just after we finished it all...







I will take a recent picture in a day or two and share - it sure has grown a lot since I took these!  And we have added a few more things...


I had started laying rocks around my Iris in the next pic - did you know Iris are my favorite flower of all time?  Oh how I love the smell of an Iris!  My mom's best friend's hubby (got that?) gave me these Iris.  Every year, LeRoy (pronounced LA-Roy) thins his out and I get the ones he culls.  I just keep adding them to my Iris bed and am surprised every year when I have new colors pop up.  I added a few to my flower beds above, too... they kinda look wilty here, but have no fear, I have decided you cannot kill an iris!

I still need a light lavender and deep purple mix, a deep purple solid and some pink mixes - those will be on my 'buy' list.  And maybe some pinks... I should just start thumbing through a catalog, right?  Until then, I just toodle along and enjoy the reaps of fresh bulbs from LeRoy until I get my 'round tuit'.  I know spring has arrived when the Iris bloom.  When they are finished, summertime has arrived and I watch my other plants thrive... like my veggie garden.


Don't you think the Iris are pretty?  The rocks around the bed are gonna look great too!



Speaking of the veggie garden, we have started work on it - and we have plenty of help:


Charlotte (black in the middle) brings all 9 of her babies and has them watch for bugs.  She coaches them along and fusses when we turn dirt over a bug or worm - in fact, she dives right in to dig it back out for her little ones.  She is an awesome surrogate mom for those chicks.  None of them are 'hers' but try telling her that!

And try gardening with 10 chickens supervising... 

Itsa lotta work!  

No comments: