Tuesday, March 25, 2014

One Little, Two Little...


Two little chickens gone...  :-(

Remember these chickie doos?



I went out to tuck my chickies in, and counted to six.  Two were gone.  So I went out to the yard to see if they had gotten locked out of our automatic door and found one dead - and it had been dead a good while.  I never did find the other, but I know *when* my chicken disappeared because I do a head count morning and night - and often a couple of times a day. 

We were gone all day Sunday.  We have had stray dogs (dumps) running around and a few weeks ago, Frankie, my Roo chased one off.  I guess this time, they critters got one and left the other - probably because Frankie was not being nice to them.  On his best days, he isn't a nice guy:




Anyhoo, that is how chicken math works... you gain a few, name a few, loose a few.

Sad for this chicken mom, but I have learned that is part of farm life.  We were amazed we got those eight babies to this stage without losing any.

And I cannot be here all of the time.

It was probably two hens they got - just my luck.

But I will never know.


No comments: