Sunday, August 11, 2013

Not A Silent Sunday!


Well, today was supposed to be a silent Sunday - but I can't let it happen because I gotta CROW!

One of my hens laid the perfect chocolatey egg yesterday!  It is our first egg from our very own hens!

This little gal:





Laid this little brown egg in her chosen little (new) nesting box yesterday!


(The white egg is the ceramic egg)  Me thinks we built the nesting boxes just in the nick of time!


Here is a close-up:




And another - compared to 'normal' sized eggs... the blue and light brown are Steph's eggs:



Here they are all together... it's a shame we don't have a store bought white egg to compare to, but (oh darn!) we don't!



And just in case you can't believe how dark brown and beautiful it is, here ya go!



When chickens first start laying, their eggs are small in comparison to when they are mature... so her eggs will get bigger soon.

Aren't these eggs beautiful?


I can't wait until Gussy starts laying blue/green eggs!

Here she is just in case you forgot which chicken she is:



Check out her green legs!

Anyway, that is my not-so-silent brag Sunday!

Gotta get to church!  Maybe I will have a new egg today!


2 comments:

Alex said...

I've seen a whole lotta chickens, and a whole lotta different colored eggs, but I have never seen a chicken with green legs! That dark brown egg is beautiful, and looks like one that would have come from a Rhode Island Red -- what kind of chicken is she?

cajunsis said...

She has funny legs, that is for sure! I had to look up a RIR egg to see the color - I knew it was brown but not sure what shade...

The egg I have is definitely darker than a RIR's egg. It is between the Cuckoo Marans and black Black Copper Marans in the 6th picture down on this link: http://communitychickens.blogspot.com/2012/08/what-makes-blue-egg-blue.html#.UgfQMD_pySo

I am enjoying this chicken thing sooo much!