Wednesday, May 8, 2013

See the Boards and Meet My Chicks! Part 2

 The 'poop boards' worked exactly as they were supposed to! Woke this morning to an icky clean:



But in three minutes flat, this is what it looked like!
 


Now, since I have lots of people wanting to see the 'gals' now that they have grown up I am going to introduce you to the chicken clan!

The first pic below is Allie - and Allie is a Dark Cornish. Allie is still young, so (s)he is still kinda homely - this face just shows you how homely Allie is. Allie we suspect is a male. I didn't want any roosters, but if Allie is a rooster - I will seriously have to consider keeping him. Why? 


Well, Allie has to be in the middle of everything.  Every. Single. Thing. I. Do.  

He even stands on my foot sometimes looking up at me waiting for my next step.

If I add something new, Allie tries it out. If I toss a worm in the pen, Allie gets it because he is paying attention to every move 'mommy' makes. If a chicken squabble is going on, Allie is looking at me, squawking for me to come break it up. If anything is happening - I am sure to know about it because Allie will make it known I need to come look.

And if all is quiet and Allie doesn't see me? He squawks until I come tell him "mommy is right here!"

So yeah, I will have to consider not having him for chicken soup... because he is always IN MY FACE, AT MY FEET and KEEPING ME IN LINE!


He cannot be chicken soup - 'cause someone has to keep me in line, right?


This is Verne - a Wellsummer roo. Verne used to be LAVerne until the day he started crowing.  Since he is rooster number 2 - he will not be staying with me. But he is a sweet rooster... 
 
 chicken soup... 


This is Big Bert - a Buff Orphington. He used to be Big Bertha - but looking more and more like he, too, is a rooster:
 

More chicken soup...


And this is Belle - who I think is also a rooster.  He is chest butting with the best of them and was trying to mate with another chicken yesterday - and he was dominate.  *sigh* He is also very hard-headed and was the last to go 'home' last night. After dark we finally got him into the coop. I have no idea yet what breed he is - but he was bought as an Easter Egger"
 

I had high hopes for Belle - I love the coloring he is showing.  But, alas, more chicken soup... chicken soup is good for the soul right?


 These two pics are of Laverne - she is a very sleek Wellsummer pullet (female) chicken:




This is Ellie. She is a Golden Sex Link pullet:
 


Aunt Bea is a Black Sex Link and I hope a pullet. She has the prettiest chest feathers of all:



This is Ella - a Golden Sex Link pullet:
 


This is Gracie (the gray and white with dots) - whom I am afraid may also turn out to be a male, however, I am still debating this theory. No crows yet, but a bit dominate...


Behind Gracie is Stacy who is still outgrowing her(?) baby down - so we still don't know what she will look like. I suspect she is a Black Copper Morans but the other breed she might be is a Auracana. Since I don't know my breeds, All I can do is guess and trust the people I bought them from!  Lol...

And now you have met 12 (remember you met two yesterday) of our chickens.

They are our daily entertainers... who woulda thought they would be so fun??


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, Euvah, they can't be chicken soup if they have names...can they? No, I'm pretty sure they cannot. Sarah

cajunsis said...

You are probably right - I have been trying to convince myself of that because everyone tells me I cannot have 5 roosters or my 'girls' would not appreciate that and the roosters will fight until they kill each other... so I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot. If I give them away, they will likely be picked up by cock fighters which I don't want to do either... any suggested back up plans? Lol... Thanks for your posts - they are so sweet. I love hearing from you.

Anonymous said...

I don't think roosters are very tasty either. Maybe you just need 'runs' in your coop, or another couple coops!!! :-). I have a wild turkey pet named Jack Henry. These birds are a hoot!!

Amy Davis

Martie said...

My mother-in-law says roosters are the best kind of chicken. She prefers them for her chicken and dumplings!