Friday, March 22, 2013

Here Comes the Chicken Coop!

So I told Steve I wanted a chicken coop like this one but with windows:



And he started building me this one - this is the front door:


I think he is doing pretty stinking good, don't you? 



And yes Todd, he knows the grain on the plywood on the left side of this is not going the right way, but he said this is an interior support wall and he is sure even you wouldn't cut an entire piece of plywood for that little bitty piece... 



This is how he has been working on each of the walls - he builds it flat on the floor of the coop then props it up on the shop wall when he is finished.  He is building all four walls like this then he will pull it all outside, start putting it up and then build the side walls.




This is the back door minus The Poultry Butler door which he still has to add:



And I went to the Habitat for Humanity Restore (I love that place!) and found this solid wood (except the windows) door for $35! I am going to refinish it for the front door of the coop:


Between the front door and the actual coop part, there will be 4' of storage area for the feed, straw and wood chips. Between the storage area and the coop, we will have a regular screen door with hard wire covering so the chickens can't help themselves to the food.  Somehow I think they just might if I don't protect it... 


I am up to 9 chicks now! I got 2 more last night.  :-)

I am pleased to introduce Miss Molly:




And Hazel: 


I sure think they are worthy of the chicken mansion Steve is building, don't you?


I see a game of chicken football in my future.  Don't worry, it is a fun game for the chickens AND their people. I will share a video soon!

Gotta go stare in amazement at... errr... tend to my farm critters. They are so stinking cute!

And just for reference, Raelee took Margaret home with the 7 chicks she bought last night!


No comments: