Monday, October 29, 2012

Breathe Easy My Friend

In May of 2008, Steve and I found out we were going to Singapore for him to do a new project.  How was I going to cope with a flip-side move?  I did the only thing I knew to do; I hopped on a worldwide scrapbooking website forum and asked if anyone was in Singapore or knew someone in Singapore.  (Thank God for the technology to let me do this... how did people before the internet survive?)  

I immediately got this sweet note from a lady named Debbie that her best friend lived in Singapore and she would have her contact me.  A few days later, Pam contacted me and we were on an adventurous road of learning new things about the place we were moving.  Once I got to Singapore, Pam helped me get my feet wet, taught me how to shop, where to shop and when I had questions I could ask Pam. 


Thank God for Pam and the technology that brought her to me. 


But this post is not only about Pam; it is about her best friend, Debbie, too.  In order for you to understand their friendship, you must first know that Pam had a sister with Cystic Fibrosis.  Pam's sister, and Debbie had gotten to know each other because of the disease they had in common.  Sadly, Pam's sister, whose name was also Debby, passed away from Cystic Fibrosis.  Because their families had become so close due to the disease, Debbie and Pam became close friends - in fact, best friends.  Pam has rallied every single time Debbie had a setback from her CF.  They spoke for hours on end on Skype and Pam talked about Debbie every chance she had - her and Deb were very close.  In fact, Pam traveled from all ends of the earth to support Debbie when she was ill with encouragement, giggles and laughs. 


                                                
Louie, Debbie and Pam

Debbie took a turn for the worse earlier this year.  She was struggling to breath and her body was getting weaker.  She was put on a transplant list, and everyone was thrilled when she received her new lungs on July 28th of this year.  She rallied!  She did terrific!  Louie, Debbie's hubby and Pam kept us posted on what was going on in Deb's life, but she was doing great things with her new lungs; she was enjoying walking up steps, going shopping, getting a new hairdo, getting used to life without her nasal cannula and she was getting stronger every day! Debbie even got to post her milestones on her blog and we were elated with each one.

I kept up with Debbie through Pam as long as I was in Singapore, and through Deb's blog when I left - and even though we had never met, I felt like I knew her.  I know it sounds silly, but I did.  

2 weeks ago, Debbie started running fever.  The Drs could not find the source of the temperature, but they admitted her to the hospital and started running tests.  Prayers were sent out for her across the world.  Pam and Louie (her hubby) kept us posted.  Finally, the source was found - she had an abscess between her trach and esophagus.  Immediately, they scheduled surgery, but sadly there were complications during the operation.  The details are insignificant, but it was a drastic turn of events; Deb came out of surgery and went into ICU.  Pam kept updating us, but the updates were not promising and I knew she was preparing all of us - herself as well.  

Debbie passed away Friday morning.  I knew it had happened before we got word;  I woke Friday morning and *knew* the news would come - I had a dark, sick cloud hanging over me from the moment I woke and I had a very dismal feeling - I even posted of the black cloud on Facebook...  I just knew. 

I cannot express how great of a loss that I felt when I got word that Debbie had not made it.  I guess it is because Debbie really helped fill in a stressful time in my life (my move to Singapore) by sharing her bestie, and the fact that I continued to follow Deb's story, her milestones and pitfalls through her blog.  It could also be that Pam has been such a close friend to Debbie, almost like a sister, in fact, and I know in my heart the pain Pam is going through.  She lost her sister to Cystic Fibrosis and now she has lost her very best friend to the same disease.  What a horrendous, devastating loss.  My heart aches deeply for Pam.  Whatever the reason, it is with great sadness that I feel the need to tell her story.  

Can you see how close they were in this picture?  Pam is on the left and Debbie is on the right: 




I absolutely love the picture of them.  Both so carefree and happy.  You can see the deep friendship and closeness they share. 



Pam, I love you.  My prayers will be with you and Louie and everyone else who loves Debbie.

My dearest 'friend' Debbie; you touched many lives while you were with us here, you were an inspiration for us - and you have left a huge heartstring in those who knew you.  You were only in my life a few short years, but I got to know what a terrific person you were through all those who surrounded you with love and support.  You touched so many hearts, including mine.  God has another angel in his ranks in heaven; a precious one named Debbie, who is peacefully watching over those she loves.  I know you are taking deep easy breaths of everything sweet and wonderful with those healthy new lungs and I hope you are dancing to your favorite music - and for the first time ever, I bet it doesn't take your breath away.  Peace, Love, Lungs...  

We're sure gonna miss you, but I know the rose is blooming on the other side... 

Breathe easy my friend.





And thank God for the technology that brought you and Pam into my life. You are missed.


Love Always, your cyber friend 

2 comments:

Pam said...

Oh Euvah...thank you so much for this beautiful post. Words cannot say how grateful I am. For you, and for Deb for bringing you to me. You are missed very much. Thank you for this spectacular post. xoxoxox

3kidmama said...

What a precious tribute! I came over because of your 2 Peas post. I will be praying for Pam and for Debbie's family. Thanks for giving us a picture into the life of an amazing woman! I feel honored to have been a fellow Pea. - Lois(3kidmama)