Thursday, August 30, 2012

Underground Railroad Quilt

Have you ever of the underground railroad?

Have you ever heard of the underground railroad codes

We guess who is working on an underground railroad quilt sampler?



Me!

I have actually finished 3 quilt blocks, thanks to my friend Sharon!  I am still new to quilting but Sharon is a pro.  We decided doing the quilt together would be fun - she got material for hers and I got material for mine.  I wish I could say it was just that easy, but finding civil war like fabric is no easy feat - especially if you want it all to look good when the quilt goes together.

I am finding most of the fun of quilting is looking high and low, far and wide in quilt shops for the perfect piece of material to go with your project.  I think if I had the money, I could easily make this a nation wide shopping trip!  That is a big statement coming from this gal that despises shopping.  Lol...

Anyway, we finally got all of our material for the quilt and cut the material.  Last week, we started our trek.  Since I am so new to it I figure I need her assistance.  She and I live 20 miles away from each other so it takes planning to get together, but we have managed 3 days and accomplished making 3 blocks:



I am learning a lot.  And I know several things: (1) I know that block number 1 does not appear to go with blocks 2 and 3.  (2)  I know the blocks are not perfect, but I am still pretty darned proud of them!  And (3) I also know, when we put all these blocks together, all the colors will work out and I am counting on it looking beautiful! 

This is what the quilt is supposed to ultimately look like:


Do you think I can do it?

We are gonna see...


Today is the big day - I have been hobbling along on this shoe for my broken foot.  I get to see if it comes off today!  Can you hold your breath for me?  This has sure been a pain in the backside - it is not comfortable to walk on, leaves blisters on my feet and I am ready to move on. 


We have an adventure coming up and I need to be fit and ready for.  What?  Not gonna say yet - still want to be sure it all pans out... but I will let you know when we work the kinks out...


Finally, our daughter, son-in-law and grand-daughter made it through Hurricane Isaac just fine.  They had a lot of wind, a lot of rain but fared well.  They have a few limbs down and will start clean-up today.  I will be thinking of and praying for all those out there still dealing with Isaac's fury.

Off to get this foot checked out.

Then back to sew!  Wish my quilting buddies were here to share the joy.   :-)

1 comment:

Swimtaxi said...

I can't wait to see your progress and then end result on the quilt.

I also wanted to say that my they told my son to wear a sock with his ugly-black-boot and that helped with the blisters.