Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Talkin' About Old Stuff...


 I have this idea to make a coat tree to go in our entry way similar to this:


Well, not so similar, but you get the idea.  It won't be exactly like this - I don't like the arms on it and I want it taller so it will be just the right height for us to sit on, the bottom to go all the way to the floor, and doors under it to store shoes in...


Well, I was telling my father-in-law aboout it and said that I had been watching at old stores and garage sales (*gulp* yes, I still go and they are SOooooo good here!) for an old door or two.  Rod got this look in his eyes and said he thought he had some in one of his barns.   

We went digging!

Boy did we find doors!!  And dust!  Lol...




Megan and Steve dusted them off and got them to where we could see them.  They will work perfectly!  Steve can use the small doors for the front of the coat tree to put shoes in!

I even love the old hardware on them!





Gonna be a treasure!  These doors are special because they came off of the old house Rod was born in!  I am honored to be able to us 'repurpose' them for something in our house. 


I also found this on the Oh So Shabby (facebook) site that I like... not too sure how practical (or comfortable) it would be, but it is neat:



While we were digging, we came across some steel (?) doors with beveled glass windows:



More dusting and gentle cleaning brought these doors out:


Wowsers!  I love them!  Don't know what we will do with them yet, but I am thinking, we will figure it out.  :-)


And finally... digging and digging is fun at Rod's place - you never know what treasures you will end up with.  He has several barns so it would take days to really see what he has!  While we were digging, we found an old transom that went above the doors between rooms - in pefect shape!


That will be gorgeous all cleaned up!

Yep, I was born in the wrong generation, but I am so glad I have the pride of being able to enjoy what my ancestors had.  I am in awe that I have been entrusted with so many wonderful treasures from our past - not only from Rod, but from everyone else in my family.

Ahhh, and today, my friends, is my 1,000th post!  One THOUSAND.  I guess I am more dedicated than I thought!  Go me!

No comments: