Thursday, May 17, 2012

Garden Update

 Update on our garden!  :-)

It is doing SUPER!  I love the straw that we laid out - it makes my life so much easier.  Very few grasses and weeds grow in it and when they do they are really easy to pull.  It also holds the moisture in so that we are only watering once a week right now - and we do know that, of course, will change as the world heats us.  Overall, it is fantastic!  That was a great idea someone had!  Thank you, thank you!





I went digging around the plants and really trying to find our veggies coming in.  I know you probably don't need to see them all, but I still want to show you anyway.   Please bear with me!  We have not had a garden in years and I am so stinking proud of how this one is doing!


We have the cutest acorn squash which we love to bake:


And more coming in:  
 


Tomatoes:





Cabbages - and I think I finally got the cabbage worms taken care of:


Cucumbers - they are the cutest things ever:


Even our bell peppers are doing great!


This is a pickling cucumber - yes they are different than a slicing cucumber, although you can slice them:


That is what I have found so far.  Everything is doing super except our melon patch.  We didn't tend to that dirt so much before we tossed the seeds in, so I guess that is why it is slow coming around.  It IS coming around, but very slowly.


We have to check on our cats every day because we have so many owls, hawks and coyotes around here - and cubby holes to wander and get caught in.  Steve saw three of them this morning and since we had been in the shop last night, he went to see if Scare-dy Cat was there. Scanning the shop, he saw something unusual on the old door we got at Rod's:



He thought he had set something up there, so he went to get it down. Upon getting a closer look at it...

He decided not to:


It is just a Black Rat Snake, but it is a nice sized one:

I hope it caught a mouse or two while it was in the shop - but his new home is going to be by the pond now!  Lol... We need help with the huge amount of frogs and critters out there - wonder if he eats turtles?

Good thing I am not afraid of snakes!  If they are poisonous, we get rid of them; if not, I would much rather have a snake than the mice they eat!  I don't think this one has missed many meals either... lol...

That is my catch up for today.  Gonna finish my batik quilt today and do some chores around here.  Did I hear you say you thought I had finished it already?

Well, there is a reason I hadn't - but itsa coming!

More on that tomorrow.  


No comments: