Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring Plantings

Busy, busy, busy!  That is all I have to say about Spring.  Well, not really...  you know I have to say more, right?

When we bought our house it was very bland - not a flower to be seen around the yard.  I love flowers; I love all flowers, but I especially love the ones that have a scent like this bearded iris... oh.  my... gosh!


So we had to get busy... and plant flowers... 


But before we could do that, Steve and I had decided on some trees we wanted on our property, so we had to get a game plan on that and start planting so they can start growing.  We got several trees:

This is an Autumn  Blaze Maple Tree:  


We dug a huge hole (8ft by 8ft) that was 2 feet deep - thank God we had a tractor to help - and Steve is getting really good at using that thing!


We took the dirt out with the tractor, weeded the grass out, then added the dirt back with the tractor.

We were super happy when that job was done - and exhausted!  The tree is about 10-12 feet high and looks like it is doing great!


We strategically placed it so when it grows up it will shade the patio.  We have lots of trees, just none to shad the patio from the west:



I removed that ugly black fence from around our porch and spruced up the garden there:




We planted 12 small trees that the Arbor Foundation sent us!  We have been super busy in the yard. 

We planted 60 gladiolas last night and have 30 left to plant.  Whoever picked up that big bag of glad bulbs for a great price at Sam's shoulda looked at how many were in it!  NINETY bulbs!  Yikes!

And I found an Green Country Oklahoma gardening site on Facebook that is gonna be the death of me.  I can buy, trade, pick up or beg for plants... and get them!  I got about a dozen free orange cannas last week! 

I shoulda never found that site - I can see our 20 acres filling up quite quickly... 

We are going to try to get our garden planted this weekend!  I know it seems quite late for you southerners, but most people here in Oklahoma say don't plant your veggies until after Easter.  I figure Easter is a time for new beginnings, so I am gonna plant this weekend.  Can't wait to see our garden grow!  We have been busy bees - and we're gonna be busy for another few weeks...



Being busy pays off though:



More on the rest of the trees next post... 

No comments: