Monday, March 5, 2012

'Sewing' and Quilting

This weekend was super busy weekend for Steve and I.  We are trying to get the garden patch ready so we can put out (sew) our veggies.  One of the things we felt we needed to do was to test our garden soil.  We have no idea what our soil was like, but we felt it was pretty darned good considering the worms, the size of the worms and the amount of moles we have (moles love worms).  

We purchased a soil test and went about testing for PH, phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium content in our garden area:



We think our test produced excellent results on two separate sides of the garden:



These tests were taken before we fertilized or did anything!  I bet you can see why we are excited!  I think our garden will produce really well.  :-)


Last week, I spent two stinking days cutting out another quilt.  I have a friend who introduced me to the Underground Railroad quilt and after reading up on it, I decided I wanted to make it.  Here is the book:



I started gathering material for it and attaching little scraps of the material to my book.  If you look closely, you can see my patches below the suggested patches:


And here are my final selections:



The finished quilt will look like this (with my material, of course):



I am so glad I will be working on it with an experienced friend.  It looks very difficult to me, but she assures me we can do it.  YAY!

I still have to put the binding on my batik quilt, and I need to cut/sew my bright colored "Turning Twenty" quilt, but I can do all that while working on my "Underground Railroad" quilt.

I may have found my passion... another one anyway.

No comments: