Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hold the Snow!

You never thought you would hear me say that, right??

Megan and I got out this weekend and put all of our seeds out into starter planters.  Megan had a blast planting itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie seeds.  Seriously!  She did!  Well, she might not have had so much fun on the teeny ones, but she didn't complain - I actually think she liked starting the seeds:



Thank goodness we eat a lot of Popsicles because that is what we used as markers:



We tried watering with a sprinkle can, but those itsy, bitsy seeds where going everywhere, so we watered with a Mardi Gras Tauzin cup:
 


We put the trays in my awesome green house Steve bought me in my awesome greenhouse that I bought myself... confused?  I bought the little one - perfect size for my starter trays and then decided to put it in my big greenhouse that Steve had bought me.

As you can see, my plants have done fine this winter - not that they really had a horrible winter to try to get through - but they certainly would not have made it outside.  The mum in the middle that looks dead is coming back from the bottom.  It's alive!


Megan is such a happy girl - she was tickled pink we had finally started our garden:
 


This has been a crazy winter!  It has been entirely too warm for here.  Our trees, grass and plants are totally confused.  It was the last day of February when I took these pictures:








And I saved the best for last:
 



Yesterday, driving around in Tulsa, I saw the most startling thing of all.  The Bradford Pear trees are blooming.  I will take pictures of those this week - but trust me, Oklahoma thinks spring has sprung.

So friends, as much as I love snow, I love flowers more.  Please, hold the snow!

3 comments:

stefani said...

I absolutely LOVE the flowering Pear trees! You must take pictures for sure.

Looks like Spring has arrived in OK. It has been warn in AZ too. I really want to start a garden this year. I have never done it before. Do you have to start the seedlings in the tiny pots or can you just start them in the ground?

cajunsis said...

Stefani, some of the seeds need to be started indoors because they take so long from seedling to harvest. If you wait until all frost dangers have passed before starting them outside, they may not have time to produce many veggies before the first frost. There is such a huge payoff for having a garden! Besides not having to buy the veggies at the store - I love going outside to see what has happened overnight and admire the new growth. I hope you are able to start one - even if you start small!

Cajunrose said...

You know, technically, you have a greenhouse in a greenhouse in a greenhouse. The flats themselves are greenhouses, you put in a bigger green house and then into an even bigger one.