Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Meet the Chicks


Steph and Raelee got chickens.  They are chicks - young and cute.  And they are urban chicks - Steph lives in the city limits, so that is why I call them urban chickens.  They have a farm in the city... well not really, but if you count Goofy, their HUGE dog as a horse, Buster the dog, Patches the cat, their fish, and now the chickens, she has a farm.  This last couple of weeks has been tough hanging out in the camper, so I went to Steph's to watch her menagerie of critters play.

I took pictures of the chicks, but unlike Steph, I have no idea who is who.  I only know one chicken and I will get to that in a bit.  Take a gander at the chick pics:










This one is Lexi:
 


Lexi is blind.  We watched her walk into walls, cardboard boxes and chairs.  We finally decided she is definitely blind, but she is healthy.  Once she figures out where something is, she is fine.  She is also incredibly smart - like I think all these chicks are.  We are just paying attention to Lexi.  Raelee and Lexi are close.  If she needs her kid, she stands straight and tall and cries for her.  Raelee will go over to her and say something, and Lexi immediately settles down.  She just needs to know she is not alone, I think.  It is fun to watch her and more fun to test her.

She is not as active as the others, but why would you be when you cannot see bugs?  So she sleeps more than the others...



She might be just a tad spoiled too:




Punkin' and Lexi love playing...


Thankfully, all the chicks are supposed to be girls.  I guess we will see.  If they have one that crows they may have to move away soon since they are in a neighborhood.


It was a blast watching these little gals.  They are still learning their balance, so they trip a lot, run and tumble, stand up and look back like "What the heck just happened?!"  and are just generally great entertainment.  Made for lots of giggles!  


They loved something in the brick and would even jump to get whatever they were after.  We never saw a thing!


If you would like to know who is who, go to Steph's Blog,


I will just call them chicks and enjoy the smiles.



Yep, I love this kind of entertainment... and it sure did my soul some good.


1 comment:

applesofgold said...

we got to meet "The Chicks" today! Oh what fun! And that Lexi, what a sweetie.