Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fairy Furniture

Bored?  Collect... Leaves and sticks and acorns and pinecones... collect anything natural that is not attached to anything alive.  Dead leaves.  Dead sticks.  Dead acorns and dead pinecones.   If you can find some vines, collect them too.  Toss them into a bowl.  My bowl got pretty darned big.  Keep on collecting then...

Let me go back... WAY back.

When our kids were little, I always asked them to keep an eye out for gorgeous God given natural objects.  If they found one, they were to place it on a plate in the center of our picnic table.  The collection of treasures collected over the length of the vacation.  As it grew, one of us would arrange it every day so we could enjoy the myriad of treasures to make a centerpiece for our picnic table.  

I am not sure when I took a picture of one of the centerpieces we made, but it is scrapbooked, and I have not scrapped for at least 4 years - and I am sure it was WAY before that.  Anyway, here is my layout (scrapbook page) of one of our collections:



So fast forward to this last summer while we were in Hawaii.  When our cousin Lisa LaRaine was young, Lisa LaRaine (and her mom ?) used to make fairy furniture - and that was many, many years ago.  A nature lover that I am, I was dumbstruck at the beauty of what they had made.  I vaguely remember seeing all the furniture years ago and it has always been in the back of my mind.  While in Hawaii this last summer, I was browsing around the house, and what did I see?

Lisa LaRaine's Fairy Furniture!





Now fast forward to the present.  I have had lots of time on my hands.  LOTS of time.  So one day I was browsing around and when I looked down, I saw nature... natural treasures!  Oh, there weren't many where I was standing - in fact in our camp ground - but old habits die hard and I picked them up and brought them to our table outside.  Over the next few days, I kept tossing a few more things up there... then... I looked...

And I walked away.

I looked again later... 

But again, I walked away.

I get so darned bored here in the camper waiting on hubby... well, I was re-reading my daughter's blog and I came across THIS LINK

So my thinking cap started working...

I got out my trusty Elmer's glue...

Then I started gluing pieces...


And I made this for punkin's fairy garden:



Complete with reading chair - I am still looking out for a 'book':



And every fairy needs a baby in a cradle:



All built with these for tools:


A *very* inexpensive hobby, isn't it?


So, how is that for entertainment while being bored?  As I said, my natural supplies are very limited, but I am enjoying creating - and as I venture out, I will keep my eyes open for other 'building supplies'.  Thanks Lisa LaRaine for the idea!  Love ya!

It is indeed "A Fairy Good Place To Be"!


1 comment:

laptop desks said...

I just book marked your blog on Digg and StumbleUpon.I enjoy reading your posting. thank you very much.