Sunday, March 13, 2011

All Done!

When Steph was little and she was finished with anything, she looked up at us with big brown eyes and said "All done!"  She was so adorable when she did that... eating?  "All done"  playing?  "All done"  finished her drink?  "All done."  Traveling in a car on a long trip?  "All done"  Ready for bed?  "All done."  It was really sweet - and sometimes quite a challenge to figure out what she was "all done" with!  But she would seriously be "all done" and stop in her tracks.  Period.

Well, I didn't have that problem today, but I am all done making my first ever knit scarf!  I am totally excited - now I didn't do a perfect job, but I did finish it and I am not upset of the job I did.  I learned to purl, to knit, made a couple of knits when I shoulda purled and a couple of purls when I should knit, but all in all it was a good learning lesson and one that I won't be embarrassed to wear!  Success, right?  

One big lesson I learned is that the yarn can have the same dye lot number and be totally different.  On my scarf, it was totally different, but I didn't notice it until it was 6 inches into the knitting process.  So, I went with Steve' suggestion, add 6 inches of the same skein of yarn on the other end.  I did that.  Sadly, the second 6 inches matched the first 50 inches and not the last 6 inches on the other end of the scarf... so basically, there were two dye lots on that skein... but who cares, right?  Anyway, the scarf is finished, rather... well, not professionally and perfect like I would like, but really - I will be the only one critiquing it - except my dear hubby who will point my flaw out every time, but I don't even care.  I am happy it is finished!

Wanna see?  Well, maybe not, but I will show you anyway... k?  (just nod and say ok here)



See?  You can see the difference in the yarn... :-(  Don't worry, I have the perfect solution; I will not wear it with the ends together.  I will toss one end OVER MY SHOULDER and smile.  You will never know.
I thought about getting a permanent brown sharpie and using it to 'splotch' the brown in the 6" that does not match.  

Just for good measure - I will show you the other side:


See?  You can even see it there too.  *sigh*  


Oh well, the darned thing is finished 36 years after Ms. 'This Is Too Tight' taught me how to knit.  What she didn't tell me was that one skein might not match from beginning to end.  But, Ms 'Too Tight'?  I finished the damned thing - and I don't care if it is too tight.  Kiss my grits!  

"ALL DONE!"

So what did I do next?  I bought 20 skeins (not really, but plenty) of the same lot number and am knitting a new scarf:


I think I like my new hobby  :-)  I have some tweaking to do, but as my son-in-law says, "It'll be ok!"

Steve took me out to eat tonight at a fancy smancy place tonight.  Just wait'll you see it!  Yeppers, I had the trusty ol' camera.

Think you are gonna get two blogs in one day?  Maybe on the flip side, but not on this side!  Stay tuned - I am off to bed now, but I will blog about our dinner tomorrow.

Hang on to that thought.

Sis out!  *she thinks of her brother and giggles when she says this.*

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

Great job!!!! See, you know how to do something I don't now. I have NO idea how to tack on knitting to something already knit!