Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Geocaching

Have you ever been Geocaching?  It has to be the best hobby ever - next to photography!  It takes you to fun places, interesting historic places, beautiful areas AND you can take your camera.  When we were here in the states, we used to go quite a bit.  I didn't have any way to find geocaches in Singapore (or overseas for that matter) as I didn't have a hand held GPS, so I didn't get to find any - though I know there were thousands - and I also know someone who has found some there.

Sunday was an absolutely GORGEOUS day; we decided to put it to good use - we went geocaching!  We searched for four, but only found two.  Here are our pictures:



See the green box at punkin's feet?  That was the geocache.  It has little trinkets and treasures in them.  You sign a log then swap a small token and leave one of your own.
 

We were careful not to give away the location of these, but we had a blast finding them.  I hope you consider looking for one yourself.  If you look at the link above, you will see a little video showing what Geocaching is.  On the right of the video, there is a place to enter your postal code - yes, even in Singapore!  Enter it and watch your jaw drop at how many treasures are sitting outside your window.


Then grab your GPS, log the co-ordinates and head out - goodness knows what you will find.  Don't get discouraged if you don't find one right away - you WILL get the hang of it, and when you do, you will get the fever.  Bridges, waterways, trees, fences, forests... you will never look at them the same again.  You will just try to count the ones you are passing as you are living life in the fast lane.  



Hints for things to take:  your GPS, a few little swapping treasures (I use postcards - but sometimes they are too big), a pen or pencil, a wet wash cloth (some get wet or dirty and you really want to wash your hands), mosquito repellant, flash light, and ... well read up on it.  We all have our favorite things.  It is not about what you trade for - it is about the actual hunt.  What an adventure - I feel like Sherlock Holmes every time we go out   :-)

Try to find a travel bug to take so you can move it on.  Read about that too... you can watch them travel from one place to another - all around the world even!

Sure wish I could have found some overseas - but it is ok.   I knew they were there, and there was not much we didn't do or see while in Singapore and nearby areas.  

I hope you get interested in this hobby - I would love to cross paths with you on the great hunt!  Let me know what you think - k?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But i know where the missing ones are. I'm sure we all can get together and explore more. I think I just have 6 left to find in the tri-city area. Tag me anytime I'm for the hunt. I have a friend hooked already too so more the merrier.

Also, msg me for any hints, may be able to help with others you need.


Celia aka flutie03