Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Christian Craft Ideas Needed!

I am looking for Christian craft ideas for my friends still going to the children's home in Indonesia where I was going.  I am not there anymore, but I feel so led to try to do something for them.  We need simple projects that will take them about 45 minutes to do.  

Let me tell you about our little group.  They do not have much room to store things,  29 children (give or take a few) live in this home.  About half of them are girls - they sleep in this room:


Yes, there are only 4 beds and lots of mattresses!  Lol...


This is the kitchen that cooks for a family of 31:



Yes, that is the stove on the right - look here for a closer view:



The International Baptist Church I was attending gave them their first refrigerator recently:



This is where they wash dishes - and thank you Sue for this picture!  I forgot to take one of the dish washing area, so Sue was kind enough to give me one:



They use the rain water captured in these buckets to wash dishes and laundry with:


They don't have a washing machine and the only dish washers are the family!


This is their dining room:



And also their living room:



All of this to show you there is very little room for them to have 'stuff', but the whole idea is to do things with them and give them lots of Christian love.  We need ideas for somewhat disposable things to make - like we made a Fruit Loop necklace with them (you oughta try to find Froot Loops in Singapore!), and some books with color pages in them.

Not all things have to be Christian, but they do need some.  English is not a first language for them - most speak Bahasa Indonesian, so verses and things like that need to be simple.  You can probably see that we don't need to spend much money but more time with them.  There is a wide range of ages here, so we need something for all ages. 

So do you have any ideas - anyone?  I am getting ready to send a box over there; I can print pages for them, and I can send some lightweight things for them to do.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  If you have links, send them as well.  Pictures?  Sure! 

I left my heart in Indonesia with these kids:







The Lord has been talking to me about these little ones.  If I can't be there in person, I need to be there in spirit and gifts - and He agrees.  It has been weighing so heavily on my mind it is time to do something - so I need ideas, can you help?  I sure hope so, I need lots of good ideas!


And does anyone know how long I will be picking lady bugs off my ceiling?  Do these things live forever??

2 comments:

Notes from the Tropics said...

Euvah,

You are so sweet to remember the Anakawan kids from a distance. Thanks for your kind actions, thoughts and prayers. We miss you girl, as do the kids. You touched them as well with your presence! Keep saying prayers on all those ladybugs that you are catching :-)

Sue

applesofgold said...

I'll drag out my craft books. I just found my Bible Craft book for age 2-4 for ideas for Elise. I'm sure I have some good stuff for you. Lets get together.