Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mandai Orchid Garden and Orchidville

Since I have arrived in Singapore, I have fallen more and more in love with orchids.  By far, they are the most mass produced flower in Singapore.  I have no idea why, though Steve and I have ventured to nearly every nook and cranny on the island, the orchid gardens are a place we had never been to.  This week I went with the AWA tour to see the orchid gardens.  What a great outing!

We first went to Mandai Orchid Gardens:





It is not every expensive at all:
 


And they offer children's programs:



The gardens are quite nice:






And the orchids are beautiful!













Even if there were no flowers, I can always find great things to look at:

I found a birds nest:



Saw a helper relaxing:
 



And working:



I found a really cool pattern:
 


An awesome leaf:



And some flowers that were not orchids:





You may be able to guess by the pictures of things than orchids that I might have found out WAY more about orchids than I ever needed to know, but I did learn.  The history of the official orchid of Singapore, Vanda Miss Joaquim,  is... long.... lol... and it held my interest for about a million nano seconds, but I loved seeing the gardens.  Finally, they finished the story and eventually drug me out of there, and we went to Orchidville.

I didn't get many pictures there, but rest assured, they have fields of orchids as far as the eye can see.  They seem to go on forever and ever:



There are rooms for entertaining, dining and other large functions, as well as great decorations:




Both places sell potted orchids to the public.  Orchidville sells cut orchids as well.  

Sadly, I have heard that Mandai may be closing soon.  I hope that is not true, and I don't know how soon - if it is true.  For some reason, I think it might be a bit in the future and they are trying to find a way to save it.  If so, I hope someone takes over that cares for the orchids and the gorgeous ginger garden.

On the way back to our drop off point, we learned even more about the stories behind the Vanda Miss Joaquim... and there are stories... lots of them.  Just trust me on that.

If you do go to the orchid gardens, wear mosquito repellent.  I didn't have trouble, but apparently I am not sweet enough (or maybe I am too sweet!), because a couple of the girls did have skeeters gnawing on them.  Also bring cool water - they do have some at the Mandai, but I am not sure they did at Orchidville.  It is best to arrive early as most of the area is not sheltered and hot later in the day.  Bring an umbrella or a hat to shield you from the sun.  Orchidville has a gift shop - a quite nice one too.  Be sure and check it out.  They also sell a small amount of pottery outside for a very reasonable price.  Don't miss that!  Bring a bag - you are sure to buy some goodies; orchids, pottery or gifts, you will need a place to put your loot.  I will give you one last secret - camera's are kinda handy too.

 
If you haven't gone to the orchid gardens in Singapore, don't wait any longer - head on out there for a real appreciation for the orchids we see in the stores.  Find out how to care for and grow them for your own enjoyment.  They are so beautiful!


Great places, don't you think?

1 comment:

Shi Ern said...

I heard the garden might be closed soon by 2011. So I created a virtual tour to keep the garden alive. I hope to share it with you, http://bit.ly/OrchidGardenMandai