Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A New Recycled World

While  at the garden show, I came across an area that was promoting recycling.  What a neat display they had.  We went on the weekend, so the kids were there helping out.  It was fun to see how excited they were about everything.  They were quick to show me what they had made, made sure I took pictures of the back sides and wanted to see the pics.  Here are a few pictures...

I found this colorful tree and took a picture of it.  I loved it and thought it would be a cute addition to a garden near a kids playground.  If you look closely, you will see it was made with an old umbrella wire:


Looking closer, I found it was made with some really cool recycled pieces:


Now how cool is that?


Here is a closer look:




And now you can see what they are made of:




Now tell me these is not the coolest things ever!  Girl Scouts take note!  Wouldn't this be a fun thing to add to a Sr Citizen center?


A few more great recycled items:






This one was aluminum (cans) punched out with a hole punch and a chime made of it:




The ideas didn't stop with cans and bottles either:





The children in the schools were challenged to make flower arrangements using recycled objects - some had some great ideas - and the kids were so YOUNG!  Like from 7 years old to 12 years old!


An old jewelry box:



Our grandsons would not love sharing their Legos for this one:



A bent bicycle wheel is even put to good use:



I found a job Todd could do if the offshore one peters out - using his recycled bus:



This one should make pR happy - recycling sugar cane leaves:



And finally, one of my favorites:  


Wouldn't this one make a great pottery shed or playhouse for kids?  Do you see that it is actually a 20' container?  I LOVED this one!


Living in Singapore, we have seen recycled juice wrappers, potato sacks and rice sacks.  My beach bag is  made from some kind of sack, though I hope it wasn't a fish sack:


( no you cannot have it Shari and Stephenie!  ;-)

They reuse buckets for chairs and supplies:



And even for dustpans:



And bottles for God knows what:



So let's recycle folks!  It is great to see people using their noggin's to make recycled objects useful.   I have seen a ton of fun recycled items since we have lived in Singapore - really putting things to work over and over.  People have some great imaginations.  I love the ideas they come up with - makes me try to think outside the box.  

Don't we all need to?

No comments: