Sunday, May 9, 2010

Missin' Home, but...

There are times as an expat when you miss home, no matter where it is, so much that it makes your heart ache.  Today, Mother's Day, is one of those days.  Of course, we get to celebrate it twice as long as most do.  Since the day arrives half a day earlier here in Singapore, we celebrate on 'our' Mother's Day today and then again when America wakes up.  Maybe that is why it is such a long couple of days for me.  I miss my kids, their voices, my grandkids and the annual crawfish boil we do every year on Mother's Day (with our family and friends) and I downright miss being 'home'.  I miss the call from our son, chattering with everyone and seeing the boys even for a moment on Skype.  Sometimes it just sucks to be so far from everyone we know and love - but we find ways to make it through the long days.

Today, I got to see something that made me belly laugh.

Fun times are built in desperation.  Steve and Raelee got  into a virtual pillow fight over Skype.  Luckily no computers were broken and I think Raelee won this one, but it reminded me of old times.  Such fun!

Thank you Skype for giving us a moment of fun - this made the day so much easier to be a part of.  I love the smiles and giggles involved.  Not everyone can be a part of a virtual pillow fight, can they?  Without this being a virtual adventure, someone might really get hurt...  Papa.

Now, how many times have you seen this happen?


Tomorrow morning I go in for a scope of my stomach to see if they can find the source of my pain.  Wish us luck, we are hoping for an answer that has an easy, breezy cure.  I will try to post an update once I am home and unsedated.  Send thoughts and prayers please  :-)

Hope all you moms out there have a wonderful Mother's Day whether you celebrate it today or tomorrow.  Have fun and let yourself be spoiled.  Make it a no work holiday  :-)

5 comments:

Red said...

Raelee did not win!
Papa did!

Cajunrose said...

That was fun :) I'm hoping Grandma gets her webcam hooked up soon so she can enjoy the fun too!

Good luck tomorrow...i will be anxiously awaiting the results. I'll be thinking about you! LOve you!!

Noelle Reese said...

LOL How fun!
I'll be praying for you tomorrow!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!

applesofgold said...

I've had a pillow fight with Raelee....and Papa, I'm pretty sure she won. This time. You had better demand a rematch.

Skype is such an awesome thing. Being in the military is hard sometimes because we aren't near family for birthdays and Christmas, etc....thankfully we have had good friends to step in and "play the part" Thank you guys so much for that. But in times when we can't be with actual family, skype has helped wonderfully. We put hats on top of the computer to make it look like the guest of honor is really there. One year, the girls and I set the computer at the end of the dining room table and Eben was able to have Thanksgiving Dinner with us. Good stuff.
I'll be saying a prayer for you today. Happy Mother's Day!

Unknown said...

definetely mothers day is a missing day for expats... spanish mothers day was on 2nd of may, and when i spoke with mine, and she told me they were eating the whole family with my grandparents... woo.... =(

but still have to think that this experience will finish soon, so i have to enjoy my left time here!!

happy mother day and huge smiles for you!! =D