Thursday, May 20, 2010

Best Fried Chicken Ever!

Talk about me being all over the map these days... I am posting about random stuff.  If it seems scrambled, it is because my thoughts are scrambled.  Too much going on right now - but we are going on vacation in a few days!

Because it has been requested, and because it is loved by so many, I am going to post my recipe for fried chicken - it is not a secret and it is super easy  :-)

I am assuming you are starting with a cut up chicken or pieces of a cut up chicken.  I don't teach how to cut up chicken, but if you need to know, Click Here

Chicken (if you are in Singapore, have them remove the head, feet and icky inside stuffs)
Flour (Fla! it is called here in Singapore  ;-)
Seasoned Salt
Corn/Vegetable Oil


Wash chicken pieces thoroughly.  This is a very important step.  When you are finished, you want the chicken nice and wet - do NOT dry.  

Please toss the head and feet and icky stuff if you found out you had it anyway.  I do fry the gizzards though, so Todd and I can fight over them.  Darn, I miss those days.

Put about 3 cups Fla! (flour) in a nice wide, flat bowl

Heat about 1-1.5" vegetable oil in a frying pan - heat over MEDIUM to low heat.

Season salt each piece on both sides

Dip in flour on both sides.  I usually flour each piece well then let set in the flour while the oil heats.  Reflour as you put in the hot oil in a single layer.  Try to get as much flour as possible on it.

Once all the chicken is in the hot oil, keep the fire at a medium heat or just below.  You should hear a nice soft frying sound - if it is frantic and popping, you have the oil on too high of a heat.  Turn it down just under medium.

Put a lid on it and let it fry for about 10 minutes.  When you check it, just open the lid and look in to see if it is forming a golden crust around the outside of each piece of chicken.  If it is, then carefully turn each piece over.  If it is not turning golden brown on the edges, leave it alone and continue to check on it until it does.  Once you turn it, cock the lid a bit sideways on the pan, then let it fry about 5-8 minutes and take the lid off.  

Now rotate the chicken over again to the other side and leave the lid off - still gently frying until golden brown.  Sometimes you need to flip on sides or back to the other side, but just gently fry until all sides are golden brown and crispy. 

Drain on paper towel and serve.  Just like mom's fried chicken and you did nothing fancy  :-)

Now, do you want they yummy cream gravy mom used to make too?


Cream Gravy Recipe

Drain all but about 1/3 cup oil and leave the 'crunchies' the chicken left behind.  Add about 1/3 cup flour (the leftovers from when you floured the chicken is fine as you will fry it).  The mixture should be about the consistency of hmmm... a thick sauce - like A-1 or Ketchup.  If it is not, add flour or oil to make it so.  Add a bit of salt and pepper.  I am a mom, I don't measure, but if you are trying to cook this, you can probably figure it out.

Stir constantly until the flour has become a dark golden brown.  Add about 3-4 cups of milk, stirring or whisking it in quickly, mixing the flour mixture into the milk.  Simmer until mixture turns to a nice thick gravy.  Sometimes I need to add more milk... have no idea why.  Maybe because I never measure anything?

Making you hungry?  Go ahead and make it and enjoy the best fried chicken ever.  I have friends and family that will vouch for this.  :-)  It is requested often.

I have no picture.  We forgot to take one and we ate it all  ;-)

1 comment:

surprisetriplets said...

Weird to see your post was created tomorrow! I'll have to try to cook my chicken using your recipe, but probably not until AFTER Hawaii:)