Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Porta de Santiago in Malacca

The most amazing part of this journey for me was the realization that this is probably the oldest documented historical site I have ever laid my hands on.  Oh, I am sure I have, but for me to *know* I have is amazing.

The Porta de Santiago was one of the main gates of a Formosa fortress built in 1511 by the Portuguese.  For nearly 150 years, the fortress protected the Portuguese position in Malacca before it was overrun by the Dutch.

Unfortunately, this gateway is all that is left standing of the four gates originally built into the fortress.  



As we were walking up, I noticed a crest above the arch.  Upon further research I found the crest is the Coat of Arms for the Dutch East India Company.


I tried to get a better angle, but in all honesty, it is so weathered it is difficult.  I can't imagine why - it is nearly 500 years old!


Walking around the outside,  I noticed the cannons with the weathered rock under them:



 I wondered how many hands have rubbed across this rock?


Even more remarkable was walking in.  Imagine these walls and archways in their prime.  They are wonderful even now:


I love the little guy standing there with Steve  :-)





the floor was intriguing to me.  Can you imagine building this 500 years ago?



Walking out the back part of the gate I thought to look back:


And finally, looking up:



The beginning of tomorrow's journey...



Until then, maybe you would like to look over the Fortress plans:


The Porta de Santiago is an amazing sight to behold and a 'must see' if you are going to Malacca.

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!