Monday, February 8, 2010

Dim Sum - Yum!

So, I am back a bit early... just had to tell ya... 

Yesterday, my friend and neighbor Debbi and her sister-in-law Reva went to Dim Tai Fung, a world famous restaurant on Orchard Road.  When I say world famous, I mean it is ranked by New York Times as one of the World's 10 Best Restaurants!  I must say, I was apprehensive at first as I have not yet eaten dim sum that I had fell head over heals in love with - but today I did.  Now I understand what the rave is!

They make it right in front of you while you wait in 'que' to get in to the famous restaurant - and the wait was not bad at all - but you better listen for the bell tone or you will get passed right up when your number comes.  While you are waiting, you can watch the cooks...


... and there are plenty of cooks...




Or you can read the menu and chose your meal.  They give you an order form to fill out while you wait.  It is very efficient and it takes up the wait time - if you happen to remember to do it.  The cooks had me intrigued - I could barely take my eyes off of their work.  

Picking just the right amount of food was a bit difficult for us. We ended up ordering 32 dumplings (aka dim sum); a little bit of several so we had a great selection.  I figured we would definitely be coming home with extra for supper.  We ordered rice and noodle salad as well...



The plate of noodle 'salad' came first - it was a mixture of glass (rice) noodles and tofu (are you listening Vicky?) with a light mixture of a vinaigrette/peanut (?) dressing of sorts.



I didn't think I would like it, but I gave it a try.  It was actually very good!  I finished a good portion of it - but I had to save some for the other girls. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.


Next were the dim sum baskets.  Dim sum comes in steamed bamboo baskets.  Each flavor of dim sum comes in its separate basket, and they are stacked one on top of another.  Our first basket was a pork stuffed one that a Chinese lady said was a 'must'.  As we were looking at the menu, she told us, "Very good, has pork and soup in it.  Very hot, very good.  Must order!"  It was indeed my favorite.  The wrap is a noodle like texture, stuffed with seasoned pork and a thin broth - very nice indeed.  If you look closely, you can see the broth inside at the bottom of the dumpling.


At this point, I began to lose track of what was inside each one, but man were they good!  This one was a veggie dumpling - filled with finely chopped greens (like broccoli) and it was my second favorite. 


There were rice filled ones that looked like little money bags.  No money - but they were great!



And another type of pork with shrimp added to it...



I needn't have worried about the left overs...


The tea was never ending, a mildly flavored jasmine tea, hot and just the right temperature and flavor.  I am not generally a jasmine tea fan as I find it a mostly overwhelming floral taste - but this was nice - just a touch of flavor.

The dim sum is a pretty food as well as yummy.  Those cooks take pride in each of those dumplings - and they are very efficient in making them.  Go back and look at the pictures above - how much concentration goes into each one...

If you are looking for a nice romantic dinner, Dim Sum might not be for you - the clattering of the bamboo trays, the bustle of the waitstaff bringing the dishes in the proper order; lighter dim sum first, heavier (fried) and finally desserts, the never ending supply of tea and excited chatter among the patrons is not necessarily the atmosphere of a dinner of romance.  However, if you are looking for a truly Chinese/Cantonese experience with great food, this is your place.  

And please scoot on over, I am coming back for more  :-)  

Pam?  Do you have room for company?  Does your place compare?  Any other Dim Sum suggestions anyone?

Thanks for inviting me on the experience, Debbi, I might still be missing out.  Pam had told me I was missing the best food around!

2 comments:

Noelle Reese said...

In San Fransisco my brother, Tracy told me we were going for Dim Sum, I said over my dead body. He said I have never fed you anything bad before now come on! I was miserable going in. He made me try all the stuff I see in your pictures and I gobbled up everything in site! I LOVED it!
YUMMY!!!
I wish I was there! :-)
N.

Elizabeth said...

Looks like fun, Sis! Love you!