Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Remember This?

1.5 years ago (yes it has really been that long) I posted THIS and said it was going to expire in July 2010.  Guess what?!  July 2010 is coming upon us right around the corner.  The big question is do we get to stay or do we get to move on?  Who knows?  We have no real idea - and since our contract on our flat is also going to be running out at the same time - well, suffice it to say, there are a lot of questions up in the air right now.  Ones we have no answers for  :-(

Here is a huge statement:  this last few weeks break has given me time to really contemplate that question and be ok with what happens.  I am good in Singapore.  Yes, yes, of course we miss everyone at home and much about the good ol' USA, but Singapore is an awesome place to live all in the whole scheme of the world -if of course we can't live in the USofA.  We have friends over here that helps make our world twirl in the right directions, and our expat friends know what it means when we say our day sucks.  You can see or hear when an expat friend needs a shoulder to lean on.  Thank goodness those times are getting fewer and fewer, but they still do come.  And those friends simply know.  

Something I like about Singapore.

On our flight back this time, there were some things in my heart that I realized have changed over the last 18 months.  

One of them is that I have honestly come to terms that home is where this man is:


I used to say that, but it gets more and more obvious.  It has never been my idea to travel the world.  I never, ever, in my life cared about doing that.  My 'bucket list' from when I was 16 years old contains traveling the US - not the world.  I think God knows what we really need.  I needed to see how the rest of the world lives and how spoiled and ungrateful most American's can be.  Going back to the states reinforces that.  Most people don't have the opportunity to see what we have seen - the poverty.  No, not poverty - the destitution - we have seen.  Poverty doesn't even begin to cover what we have seen - and have yet to see.  

Now when I went back to the states and hear cashiers at THAT STORE complaining about someone not coming in and it reminds me of the lack of responsibility both parties have.  The one that did not come in not caring about the one that had to pull a double and the one complaining not being happy she had a job in a nice cozy store.  

In other countries, they realize how precious those jobs are.

Humble still lives here.

Something else I like about Singapore.

You see?  I am seeing the light.  God knew what he was doing sending us here.  I do like it, I like the consistency of the lifestyle here and I love the people that come through my life every single day.  They are what makes it worth being here.  It is because of them that I can make it.  
It is because of God that I have that opportunity to do so.  
If we can't live in the US, Singapore is good to us.

I have made great strides in a few weeks.  
Coming 'home' was much better this time - so far.  

Now on to the rest of the story.  Getting here.

The flight... lol...


Due to the fact we were leaving out early in the morning and Todd was not in, we spent the night at the hotel before we left so the girls would not have to be on the road in the middle of the night.  All comfy & rested, we got up and to the airport in a fair amount of time to catch our flight out.  

Laugh.  Laugh.  

It was late getting out to de-icing.  What?  We were leaving New Orleans!  

The week we were there was COLD!!  The week we were in Oklahoma was frigid!  No one was used to this kind of weather in the south.  

So I scooped up some of the cold to bring it back to Singapore.

Finally the plane leaves and it was obvious we were pushing it to get to the next flight.  

We needn't have worried.  The next flight was delayed "because it didn't get there" - whatever that means.  So, we waited hours for it to finally arrive to pick us up, which made us miss the next flight - of course.  

Japan (Narita airport) has a way of making everyone go with the flow as painlessly as possible.
That is something I like about Asia...  


We were put up in the ANA Hotel Nikko Narita for the night and given 2 food vouchers and a slew of other stuff for our delay.  We slept well, ate breakfast and went to the hotel lobby with this:


(Have I said lately how much I love this man?)

Those suitcases held our precious Velveeta, Miracle Whip, Pecans and Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt... and whatever else we felt the need to bring.  
Our 4 suitcases always get full coming back to Singapore  :-)

And what do we find?

Sleet.




A fair amount of sleet was sheeting down.

So I scooped up the rest of the cold to bring as well:



Was the sleet going to delay our next flight?  Lucky for us it didn't - Japan was more prepared than New Orleans - they actually get cold weather there!  lol... Don't worry, I was not upset with New Orleans.  They never see cold like they had for that amount of time.  We got to catch our flight out uneventfully.

Unless.  You consider the food:


It smelled like smoked peanuts and looked like it had worms on it:


And... ?

They said it was sticky rice and tomato pork and beans.  Ugh.


We were hungry.  We both tried.  Somehow, I don't think the Asians even think this is yummy.  ?

We played Uno.  Connect 4.  And crossword puzzles.  And blocks.  And lots of music.  



But we didn't eat.

And it is a good thing we bought this Kensington Battery (Model K38021 or K33396 in case your are interested) for our iTouch.   (Thanks for the idea Steph - we love it)

(You are still going to be my new products girl when we open that retreat right?)


Anyway, the trek getting here was long, but even though it was long, it was pleasant.  We are home and our life continues to twirl.  We miss you at home though - never think we don't.  

We just have to make the best of our life and embrace the journey.



Oh!  Can you believe the flight lost our 'cold' between here and Japan?  Darn.  
Welcome back to Singapore.  
Our little dot on the equator on the other side of the world.

Good night all.  I will start my day saying a prayer of thanksgiving for you at home - 
and another prayer for you greeting me here.

We are here.  Safe and sound.

2 comments:

surprisetriplets said...

You have such wonderful pictures! I can't wait until I can get pictures like that. I'm glad you're enjoying your time with him.

Cajunrose said...

Hey...at least you didn't have US with us..he would have had that luggage and 8 more bags too..lol
Glad you made it back ok. Hope you are getting back into the swing of things easily.