Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fessin' Up ;-)

I have been feeling icky for a long time.  Haha.  Like you didn't know that.  So here goes - I had another annual physical in December, and it just showed that same icky bloodwork that the Dr here in Singapore said not to worry about.  
It was a bit worse, but I figured not in the 'worry about' stage.  


Yesterday I was doing my daily climb of stairs and at about the 6th floor, I got extremely dizzy.  So much so I nearly fell back down part of those stairs.  It is a long way to roll down.  I rested, got up to the 6th floor (or whatever floor it was - I am kinda groggy on that) and made my way to the elevator and back into the condo.  


I slept hard for about an hour.  When I woke, I still felt puny, but I was ok.  Trying to figure out what was going on, I took my blood pressure.  It was a bit low, but not so much I should worry.  
Finally, realizing I had not followed up on the blood work from when we were home, I decided to call a different Dr and go in.  
Lucky for me in Singapore, they always get you right in.  
2 hours later I was in her office.  
And there is never a waiting line.


After a quick glance at the blood work she asked how long I had been ill.  Hmmm.... well, several years not really up to par... but not ill.  Aside from that stinking side pain, I am just tired, weak, my dry hair falling out by the handfuls.  I have itchy dry, scaly skin, sometimes feel fainty but most of the time I am ok, I can't ever seem concentrate, feel like I live in a fog, I have constant battles with depression... Yes, I have lost some weight, but... (you see where this is going, right?).  


She was not surprised said it looks like my thyroid was dying 3 years ago...  The blood work has progressively been getting worse and now it is serious.  Hmmm.... I need thyroid replacement therapy.  What Dr had I been going to?  She didn't understand his lack of using replacement therapy but said she was going to do so immediately.


Oh and "Look at your iron levels."  
"Wait." 
"Lack of." 
"It is very low."


So I am anemic as well.  


Iron and Thyroid Replacement should make me feel much better.
Linda assures me I will feel like a young person again just like she does!
She has been hypo for several years.
(I am trusting you here Linda - I will hold you to that promise...)


In the meantime I am banned from 10 flights of stairs  (Oh darn)
and I cannot walk long distances  (Oh darn)
and I probably should not get too overheated  (Does she know I live in Singapore?)
and no strenuous exercises  (Oh darn)
At least until my blood work looks better than it did yesterday.
Much better says she... 
Or at least until I feel much better.


She assured me I should see improvements within a couple of weeks and she will draw blood in 2 months and see where we stand then.  She said I needed all the iron I had so she would not redraw blood yesterday to double check the December results and do a pancreas work up...


And I was in and out of there with meds in hand in 35 minutes.


I will go to another GI Dr to find the source of my side pain after this is all settled - she has hooked me up with a new one - one that she assures me will find out the source of the pain.
There is a cause for that side pain.  
I know it.


My cholesterol is extremely perfect - both good and bad.  
She was amazed I was not on cholesterol meds it was so good!   Yippeee!


I am doing something right.
Or maybe it was my ancestors... 


1 comment:

Noelle Reese said...

CHEERS!!!! There is an answer to one problem and now you can be back on your way to happy and healthy!! YIPPEE!!!
I'll keep on praying for you!
LN