Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another Expat Movin' On...

Expat life is very different from life in the states.  Our friends in the states are usually like us, very grounded and only occasionally get transferred.  Even if they do, they are relatively easy to stay in contact with.  Expats are a friend of a different sort - usually in our lives for only a moment or maybe a bit more (some are lucky enough to be with us for a couple of years) but most of the time, one of us will be moving on soon.  Moving is one thing, but most expats go to other countries to start a new adventure.  Often it is not easy to stay in contact with each other.  It is one difficult part of our lifestyle as an expat.  
Short term friendships...

When I first moved to Singapore, Lynda was one of the first to welcome me.  She told me of great places to shop and those to stay away from - and I was comfortable asking her for more information.  If I am not mistaken, Lynda is Singaporean, so I thought she was here to stay.  
I was wrong.  

While on holiday, I received a message from one of the other girls that Lynda and her hubby David were moving on.  UGH!  I was sadly disappointed, not for Lynda, but selfishly for myself.  I really enjoy Lynda's company and advice - and I am sad to see her leave.  However, I know she is going someplace that she is looking forward to, so I shall be happy for her.

Here is a picture of Lynda sharing her knowledge of the food we were eating with a couple of other wives from the company.  Yes, if you will recall, it was THIS post about the food - in particular, the Malaysian rice with the dead fish laying over it - and I was not so game to try it.  However, I loved listening to her sharing about it and how to eat it.  I still have to work my way up to some things... she said it was good.
I have to believe her. 


Lynda is a go-getter, and so I know she will be fine.  It is the loss of another expat friend that makes me sad - not the news of her hubby's transfer.

We will miss you, Lynda!  
Good luck and have fun on your new adventure!    :-)

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

I'm sorry one of your friends is moving on :(