Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tay Guan Heng Manufacturers - Much More Interesting Than It Sounds :-)

My friend Debbi took me to a tiny little shop where she had found...  something wonderful...

Tucked away in Singapore's Industrial District is a shop packed with treasures unique to the city, and maybe even to the world.  It charms many people to come to its doors, yet it seems to be a dying art - on the endangered species list even.  Mr Tay thinks he might even be the only maker of his kind in Singapore - if not on the planet.  What is it that Mr Tay and his craftsmen make?


The Tay Brothers make cinnamon wood figurines and joss sticks.  Figurines as intricate as the one above - my new nativity scene!  This wood does not smell sweet like cinnamon does, in fact, it comes from a sister to the cinnamon tree.  The figurines and joss sticks are made from a fine cinnamon tree saw dust mixed with water.  It is as simple as that - or is it?

Not so simple... you see the Tay Brother's make it all by hand.  They mix the wood clay and model the figurines with their hands!  Big ones, small ones all mixed and shaped by a few pairs of human hands and sculptured into fascinating pieces of art.  

Tay Yong Poh, Amos' father was the one who conceived the idea of crafting these figurines while making traditional dragon joss sticks at Chinese festivals.  Amos and his brothers have continued this family traditon, which goes back 4 generations.  

Amos is passionate about his art.  He shares the entire process with anyone who is interested, taking you step by step through the entire process.  Look at his face please?  





Tell me he does not love his work  :-)

He makes many different type of figurines including replicas of heroes and heroines from Chinese operas, mythology and folk art.  






And he makes modern pieces as well as Christian pieces:




Then they are sun dried in the most modern way:


I love his work!  Just look at the detail:







All of the designs are made with simple tools like fingernails, scissors, Popsicle sticks, pens, cookie cutters, sticks, paper clips, and knives.  

Nothing fancy exists in this shop:


Yep, I borrowed my daughter's photo, but I couldn't find mine.  However, I want you to see how modern this  shop is (tongue in cheek) as it is a very modest garage type of shop, no fancy machines and only a handful of guys (maybe 4?) working in it.   

He was even kind enough to show Raelee how to make a few ornaments:




The hanger for her ornaments?  A paper clip  :-)

And he has had many magazine and newspaper articles written about him:


Finally, his art is not inexpensive, but it is well worth every penny spent.   After you chat with him for a bit and admire his handy work, you will think it is a mere drop in the bucket for his art.


When you go in, he does have a few things made and displayed, but for the most part you order from him and return to pick it up in a few weeks.  It is made specifically for you and each piece is a one of a kind.  It might look like others, but upon closer examination, it is indeed unique.

My nativity scene cost about S $110.00 - and worth every penny.  Some things you just cannot put a price on and this is set is so special to Steve and I.  How many places like this exist?  They are getting fewer and fewer as time goes on.  Would you like to have something of Mr Tay's?  

Here is where to find him:
Tay Guan Heng Manufacturers 
Block 4001
Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park
(off of Ang Mo Kio Ave 10)
Singapore
Open from 10:30am -6:30pm
Mon - Sat
Tel 6454-1252


It is in a small line of garages, on the left about 3/4's of the way down the driveway.  It is in a very mechanical looking home for such a special shop.  You would never believe it if I hadn't told you.


Please - go share his pleasure.  His enthusiasm with inspire you  :-)

12 comments:

Noelle Reese said...

Again I am amazed! I love your set!
LN

Pam said...

Very cool! I've had his address on my peg board for a year to go see his stuff. Love your set!

Anonymous said...

It is a very neat place & I enjoyed talking to Mr. Tay and watching how quickly and skillfully he forms the intricate figurines. He is passionate about his craft and was excited showing and telling how it is done.

Leone Fabre said...

there are some amazing places tucked away in and around Singapore ... we just need a guiding hand as to where they are!!

Love the photos!

Elizabeth said...

Sis,
This is awesome. Would love to see his stuff. Maybe I will get to come at some point. I can try. Beautiful work!

Rycon Payne said...

I love the dragon you sent me, and it's great to read about the man, and the art, that actually made it a reality. The dragons you send me will be cherished forever. I love you mom, and Merry Christmas!

<3

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I regard as nice post. Especially the title-deed attracted me to read the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

His work is beautiful! I'm so glad you wrote about it. I have purchased from him in the past and lost the address. So happy to have found it through here. Now I can go this week and buy more! Many Thanks!