Sunday, December 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Jeremy!

December 13, 1982 was a fantastic day.  Well it didn't start out that way, but it sure ended that way.  After a long day, a cute little boy named Jeremy was born to us.





27 years ago today, a red-head-freckle-faced-green-eyed-boy came into our lives.  Little did we know how much he would light up our lives, make us smile and entertain us with his laughter and silly faces. When he was born we knew our lives were whole.  We already had our sweet little girl and now our son had made us whole.  Our little family of four was complete.


His big sister couldn't be happier.  She beamed with pride when he came home.  Of course there were some transitions in store for her, but she overcame them and helped mommy with her big brother.  She loved him with every part of her being - protecting him and guiding him as he grew older - and doing her best to try to keep him out of trouble - or in trouble, which ever suited her best at the time  ;-)



Jeremy was born with a love for music. Doing as we were told was best, we put him to bed with music on so he would sleep through the rest of the commotion in the house. In his bassinet next to us, he squirmed nearly constantly.  I would wake when the squirming got so bad I thought he was about to wake.  The night we moved him to his own bed he slept the night through.  A few days later, I brought him back into the bedroom with us and it was then that I realized he was not squirming - he was rocking himself to the music.  Tiny in his bassinet, his toes were pushing him back and forth - hence the 'squirming'.  He did that through his toddler years.  That was only the beginning to his passion for music and still to this day, he has a huge love for tunes, not only listening to the words, but to each individual instrument in the background music.


When Jeremy was nearly three years old, someone at Sears - yet again - put their hand on his hair, ruffled it and asked him where he got that beautiful red hair.  Jeremy didn't miss a beat, without so much as a pause he answered, "It came with my head."  


I knew then that I was in big trouble.  At three and his wit had already started.


He is indeed quick witted; a little too quick if you ask me, but he still makes me laugh at his humor.  It sure got him into a lot of trouble when he was growing up, but often when I was fussing at him for something he did wrong, he was screw up his little face in the funniest faces and it would always make me laugh - he didn't get out of trouble, but he sure lightened the mood greatly.  His smiles can light up the world and the twinkle in his eyes let's you know he is on his way to trouble - but his bear hugs make everything all right again when it has gone awry.





Jeremy used to be very good (and literal) listening to directions.  When he was 6 and in kindergarten, we had taught him all the rules including don't talk to strangers or anyone he didn't know.  One day a friend who was supposed to get him off the bus forgot him.  When I came home and found out, I was frantic in my efforts to find him.  I raced to my neighbor to get her help and we searched the entire neighborhood.  I had gone back home in tears to call his dad, and heard a noise coming from under our huge gardenia bush.  When I went to search, sure enough there was our son, playing happily with his Hot Wheels cars in the dirt.  When I asked him why he didn't answer when we called, he said "Because you told me not to talk to people I don't know!"  I said "Jeremy, you know mommy though, why didn't you answer?"  His answer?  "Because I couldn't see if you were mommy so I couldn't talk to you!"  
He was dead serious.  I think he took a few years off my life that day.


Life with Jeremy has been an adventure waiting to happen.  He has tested every last rule we had, broken a few dozen, made his own rules and still lives his life at full speed ahead.  He has learned some valuable lessons along the way - lessons most adults have yet to learn; but he has grown to be a very loving and caring father of two young boys - one a red-head-tiny freckle-faced-hazel-eyed-boy.  He has asked for mercy for raising his red head as he knew what he put his own parents through.  I gave no mercy but I did tell him good luck - he would need it  :-)





So today, I wish our son a very happy 27th birthday.  You have added so much sunshine and giggles to my life, bear hugs that could never be replaced, you calm me when your dad is not near, and you have a good strong head on your shoulders and heck, you even picked a terrific family.  We are proud of who you were and who you have become.  


You are truly one of a kind.  I love you son.





And as a closing statement I will say that surely "the length of this conversation greatly outlasts any interest I (you) ever had in it" - a statement Jeremy used on me often.  And I usually said, "what are you saying son?"  His answer?  "I got the point."   


Gotta love him - he makes us laugh!
Happy Birthday, son  :-)

3 comments:

Alex said...

awwww :)

Rycon Payne said...

Thank you mom :)

I never did quite do things the way anyone else did, but I've had some really interesting moments because of it. Maybe, just maybe, my experiences can help my children through life. Though, if my childhood is any indication... "What do parents know anyway, let's do it anyway. Are you scared?"

Noelle Reese said...

What a fantastic post!
Happy Birthday Jeremy!
I love that he does not know me from Adam yet he spends a lot of time with me on my computer and the phone fixing it! He is a generous person as well! My Dad was born today too. He is 80 years old!