Thursday, November 5, 2009

14 Day Countdown :-)

Our daughter and grand-daughter are coming to Singapore! I am so excited :-) I keep thinking of things I need to do before they get here... lots of things... Only two weeks to go before I get to hug them.

I can't wait to show them around and let them see what our lives here are like. No amount of describing it can even begin to tell anyone what being an expat halfway around the world is like. You just have to live it - to experience it - to 'be in the moment' it to have any concept of it. My only hope is that I can keep enough food in their tummy's to keep them from starving ;-) Daughter dear has been a picky eater from the time she first put food into her mouth. I have no doubt she will have plenty to eat though - her mom will take care of her :-)

I know I keep telling you that I am not going to show you any more pictures from our balcony. Well, I have decided that I am going to quit saying that, because I have faced the fact it will not happen. I look out from our balcony, and every time I think it can't get any better, God shows me up - and it does! Look at what I saw this morning:

















Yuh huh, tell me THAT is not work posting... lol... wasn't it pretty? A double rainbow :-)

I was looking for a picture of our condo for Kaylee and realized the only one I had was from when the school was being worked on, so I took my trusty little camera out and took this picture for her:

















I think it is a cool looking condo. On the left side of the screen, you cannot see it here, but we have a river flowing by it. Here it is from the other side:



















One of the things we look forward to is hearing the dragon boats practicing on the weekends. On Sunday mornings, we walk over to McDonald's to eat breakfast. We often stop and watch them rowing. Man, does it ever look like hard work! I need to remember to take a picture of them.

The exercise teaches them team work - a very big thing in Singapore. They do many things here to teach teamwork and they start at a very young age. We were talking to an instructor of the kayaks last weekend, and he said they start the children at 5 years old. Kayaking is a common part of the school curriculum. We have seen team building exercises such as building sand castles, doing string puzzles, sailing, and cooking. Yep, Singapore is big on team building.

Today I was out with a friend, and we saw a horrible accident. Someone pulled out in front of a motorcycle. It must have just happened as the man from the bike sat down on the curb just as we passed. A good thing - he was walking and he sat down. He was obviously shaken and appeared to be hurt, but not seriously. He was missing a few teeth and had some scrapes on his face.

I said an immediate prayer for him, but I have been thinking about him all day. I hope he didn't have any serious injuries - if he hit is face hard enough to lose teeth, he could have head injuries that were not showing up yet. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers for a few days - I think he could use them. Oh, and slow down just a bit - someone is depending on you to help them stay safe :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures!!!! We can't wait to get there either!

Elizabeth said...

Love the pics, and the double rainbow is gorgeous! Will say the prayers as asked.