Sunday, October 18, 2009

Singapore Sling, Arab Street and the Malay Heritage Center

What a busy, wonderful weekend it has been! Steve's award banquet Friday night started us off running. Steve had meetings all weekend, but we squeezed visits with Josie and Mike in during our free time. I had met Mike before, but had never met Josie. We had so much fun visiting and touring a bit in Singapore.

Josie is the only one that can understand what my husband does with the company - her hubby is Steve's counterpart. She understands there are only two guys in the world (with the company) that can do the job the guys do. She understands that if they are on a job, we cannot simply pull them away - there is no one else with the knowledge of the job they do, so no one can take their place. Yet.

It was so nice to have someone to chat with about the frustrations that come with the guys knowledge - the times we have had to 'buck up and do it alone' but needed them there. I know it sounds conceited to even consider that no one else can do their job, but until there are others that have their experience and know how - and then are trained to use it - they have been a two man show. They know, and we know. It has been a very difficult road to hoe for all of us, but we all understand the position we are in and the sacrifices we have all made. I hope that will soon come to an end, but for now it was nice to have someone that understands and can identify with me.

Saturday evening we ate at Boat Quay, had a SINGAPORE SLING at Raffles Hotel (they are world famous for the Singapore Sling) then we finished off the evening with drinks in Chijmes. I shake my head in disbelief when I think of this - and I don't take it for granted. Singapore is a lovely place and I am blessed to be given this opportunity. The sights, the sounds, the smells... We had a wonderful evening. However, I think the Singapore Sling is over rated and definitely over priced:

Here is Mike with his Singapore Sling:



He needed it when he received the check:



It was a glorified fruit punch with very little alcohol; however, I when I came home to research the alcohol content (1 oz), I found out that you must ask for them to hand mix the drink if you want the original. Just as we suspected, we had a premixed drink :-( So now we must go do it all again for the original - Steph? Guess you will have to do that with us... We did, however, have another one at a hotel, and it was much yummier than the Raffle's drink, but the cost was right up there with the Raffle's Sling...


While the guys were at a meeting on Sunday, Josie and I slipped off to Arab Street and browsed around a bit. ARAB STREET is a wonderful shopping area with thousands of yards of the most beautiful material I have ever seen. They have tailors that will measure you and whip up and dress in less than 24 hours - a dress that will take your breath away and fit you like it was made for you. Oh, because it was :-)

Cheyenne's love of red and black came to mind when I saw this dress:



When we went to the MALAY HERITAGE CENTER, we had an artist work with us (free of charge - as a demonstration) to show us how BATIK is made. Basically, you draw on a piece of material, wax over the lines of your drawing with a special tool, then dye the material. The lines stay white and the dye covers the areas the wax is not on:

Here is Josie getting ready to learn her new skill:



Our waxed flowers:



Dying our art:



My artwork:



Our art drying in the sun:



Showing us how to make different patterns and colors by alternating pouring inks and water onto the material:



The finished product, though it got even prettier as it dried:



And finally, a piece his father did - it sold for + S$20,000.00!! His father has an amazing talent for beautiful color.

If you look closely, you can see women dancers in his art:


So our weekend was exciting and fun :-) Most things we do in Singapore are wonderful - I love learning the traditions, and seeing and listening to the unique sights and the sounds of each area. The experiences are breath taking - and sharing with friends only makes it better. I think Josie had fun and we both learned a new trade, though I think we might need a little practice. We bought the wax tool - now I can't wait to see our new projects.

She flies home to Scotland tonight and I am again left nodding in disbelief as I realize just how blessed I am. Oh! And we have been invited to Scotland and Cypress... hmmm... can you imagine BOTH of the guys getting time off at the same time? Yeah, not happening... lol...

1 comment:

surprisetriplets said...

It's neat how you're learning all kinds of new skills and meeting so many great friends. Take good notes so you know what you should show Steph and Raelee, and hopefully me:)