Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Few Thoughts for the Day

Our last day at home, pR wanted to swing... desperately.


How sad is that face?

She did swing. Yes, that is high enough for a big girl!



Darn, she loves this swing. Every child has loved this swing - and papa was going to leave it? We are told it is old and worn out. I think he cannot leave the swing - it has history. Must come with us...

We packed the toys the girls got to bring back. I am so proud of them! Look at all that loot for the children of Indonesia!



Today Steve asked me to go to lunch with him and some of his colleagues. We went to The Bark - a nice relaxing place near Changi. We always eat outside in Singapore - doesn't everyone?

Here is a sampling of the menu:




I ate the Sambai Nasi Goreng:


Well, some of it. I am still not acclimated to the time zone, smells and food. It takes a while to get in the Asian swing - but I like it. Just give me time :-)

I love eating with Steve and his buddies. Today we ate with a Singaporean, a Brazillian, a Venezuelan, and a Phillipino. We share amazing stories while we eat from the various countries - it is so fun to learn about everyone, their families, food and countries. So many have been affected by the earthquakes, typhoons and sunami's here. One of the guys we ate with had just sold his house in the Phillipines - and it is now waist deep in water - never having been flooded before. He is so fortunate to be with us in Singapore.

We went through Tokyo on the way over here - Leone just told me they just cancelled 200 flights due to the typhoon! Thank goodness we made it here!


Kimberly made me another orgami dove. She promises to fill a jar for me :-) I love her doves. Of course, like my other friends it is difficult to get a good picture of her - but at least she lets me *get* a picture of her!




On the way to the store, I am reminded again of travels in Singapore. We see it all:


What do you think he was carrying?


And finally, at the grocery store... something is not right with this picture:


I can't seem to wrap my mind around the potato chips and milk selling on the same shelves...

Acclimating to the smells and way of life here takes a bit - but I am working towards it. Can't wait to feel like a human again. I am so tired from the last three months that I am surprised I can even function. Give me time - I will get there.

World here I come - as soon as I rest a bit more. Night all :-)

Another day ending for me and beginning for others. What an exciting world we live in :-)

2 comments:

Sandy said...

glad you have arrived safely, and I will be watching for updates on the dove-filled jar! :)
i hope you got the swing safely out as well.

Anonymous said...

Papa loves the swing too!
The pic of Raelee sitting on the swing with the rain drenched yard under her is very sad indeed, I will miss that swing, that yard, the get togethers...............

Love
Steve