Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Sight to See :-)









In December 2007, Steve decided to quit smoking. With his mind set to it, he started building bird houses as a distraction project. It was a rewarding project during the withdrawal time and now we see progress from it. This year in the bit of time we were home, we have watched mommies and daddies raise a flock of baby purple martins in ours. Daily they bring food and nesting materials to the homes - tolerating my pictures rather well.

Steve made one for my dad, his mom & Stephenie. I don't think birds ever took to mother and dad's, (do purple martins live in Oklahoma?) but they sure did to ours - how much fun it has been to watch them!
While sitting outside eating a sandwich after working on the house, I looked up and saw a few sparrows had moved in. The babies were all gone and I only saw a couple of purple martins. I need to read up on that, but the bird houses were definitely a good investment - both for our viewing eyes, and my hubbies life.

He did indeed quit smoking. I am so proud of him for stopping a 3-4 pack a day habit, and I love his distraction project; like him, the bird house will give me many more years of viewing pleasure. Thank you honey :-)

No comments: