Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Insurance Adjuster Came







Today the insurance adjuster came and saw the house for the first time - and he assured me it would not be the last time. He called the living room and hall immediately as needing gutted and walls replaced. He is unsure of my scraproom, so he is waiting another few days to see. It was very 'iffy' today and he said what looks good today may look nasty in 2 days. We already have black mold. It looks very much like this page - pretty blue walls with black spots. We may get more. We shall see.

He was glad all the carpet had been removed and told the water mitigation team to remove the bottom 2 feet of all of the walls he had not yet called because they are saturated with water. He took pictures of it all, took samples of the carpet and padding to get evaluated for cost value. After answering all of our questions he made sure I had a place to stay and let me know we could get a hotel room or he would rent me an apartment for the duration of the time it takes to put the house back together. He told me he fully expected this to take 3-6 months. He will come with the first figures Monday. Then he left.

Talk about shocker - it is all starting to hit me. I tried shopping at Lowe's (a home improvement store) and immediately got overwhelmed. Do you know how many types of carpet, tiles and wood floors they have? Do you know how many paint chips there are? I usually work on one room - not a whole house! I need an interior decorator to help me :-( What a job this is going to be.

I don't even know where to start - but I won't be able to do a thing until Monday when the water mitigator finishes his job and the insurance adjuster comes back for his 5 day check-up. Saying it is overwhelming is an understatement. I need a handy man, a mold mitigator, a plumber, an electrician, a carpenter, and a sheet rock floater. I need a painter, will need to buy carpet/wood floor/tyles/kitchen cabinets/bathroom cabinets and pick out wall paints and trim paints. I will have to buy furniture and drapes... yeah, this is going to be a huge job.

I am going for one last look at it, then I will go sleep it off. Tomorrow is a new sunshiny day.

1 comment:

applesofgold said...

ugh....I get a yucky feeling in the pit of my tummy looking at these pictures. I am just sooo sooo sorry. From the brief look that I had of the house the day it happened, I had no idea it was that bad. Please let me know if I can help you...even if you just need some company while picking out some new things, organizing scrapping materials, or painting. (I can paint a pretty mean wall if given the chance and a paint roller!)