Monday, July 20, 2009

From This... to This...

Our house is finally all packed, all the walls are torn down and we are moving forward. Man, has it been a ride!

We have watched the walls our home of 16 years fall down around our feet. It has been an amazing and awakening experience - a bit surreal if you ask me. Little did I know that a little water would change our lives so very much. We are doing good; we are making a lot of decisions, we are falling more in love with our camper and we are watching in amazement as 3 men begin to bring our home back to life after 6 days of drying out and sprays for the mold.  We are guaranteed there will be no moisture problems as a result of this flood.  Whew.  I want to spend another 16 years in it...

We have finished packing the entire house, thrown away what needed to be thrown and are hauling it away with the rest of the sheet rock from our walls.

We picked out front doors, the back doors, and tub surrounds. We have talked about (but not chosen) floors. I guess paint is my job, though I am going nuts worrying about it. I will get it, but repeat after me, eb is not an interior decorator... lol... Paint and floor picking out needs to be done this week I am told. *shivers*

The guys are almost finished framing up the last of the changes we made for the house. Since we had it all out anyway, we made 2 walk in closets out of two long ones with lots of unusable space; the new small walk ins will be for our room and one for Jerbears room but will be all usable space. We changed a closet opening from Steph's room (it was a second closet) to the bathroom as it had no closet space, and then we made one tiny and unusable space from my closet into one large linen closet opening into the hall. We also took out the bookcase in the living room and they are making a half wall there today. We have moved some lights and added a few lights, added a few outlets and made some more accessible. As you can tell, we are clipping right along at a fast pace. That is why I have not posted in a few days. We have been so busy I have literally fell into bed when I get in the door and showered.

Here is what we have gone from and to:


















Here is the new half wall in the living room made with pink wood I and G are so impressed with :-)




Life is busy but good right now. The shock of it all is beginning to dull and we are moving on. Of course we have no choice, but it is finally getting better. We can see an end in sight since it is flying right along.

I must say, my husband's work sure has come in handy. The contractors we have are from a company he has done business with for years. When they found out our problems, they offered to pull a crew together, jump right in and get rolling - and at a fair price. I am sure they are looking at the long term paybacks, but I cannot thank these guys enough for what they have done. One of the guys offered to help make decisions when Steve is gone and I trust him; believe me, he knows Steve and knows what and what not to do. Some things are just going to have to be done when Steve is gone. I am ok doing that and if I run into questions, between Steph, Todd and Mike, we can get it done. I am finally resting a bit easier.

Steve will be here for one more week and hopefully most of the rest of the big decisions will be done by then, we will have rented another storage unit and the rest of the stuff hauled to storage. I am so thankful for that. There is still a lot of decisions to be made, but we are getting those whipped out this week. We are down to patting a couple of fires at once, instead of dozens at once.


Anyway, off to send the adjuster measurements and pictures. That should take the rest of the day for me. Steve is hauling trailers full of furniture and sheet rock away.

Later 'gator!

2 comments:

Ms Lynne said...

Things are looking brighter for you every day. Glad to hear it!!!

Love you!
Lynne

Sandy said...

wow, great progress girl. how are you holding up?