Monday, May 18, 2009

This is Why We Call It Home

Fleas are on the way out... lol... Jude came in this morning and sprayed the house and over 100 gallons of treatment in the yard. I hope it kicks my guests last. My cat is up in the tree, a bit freaked at the sound of the truck sprayer. She will probably spend the day up there antagonizing the birds and squirrels. I hope all of this does the trick :-)

I was walking around our yard this morning. We had a cool front come through and it was a wonderful cool beginning to a day. I grabbed my camera while I was enjoying our yard. Here were a few of my sights and thoughts:

The BBQ pit, perhaps one of the most important things we own, waits on its master to put it to work. Mmmmm, I can smell the wood smoke, hear the children's laughter and the bantering of adults - all of us waiting on the juicy meats cooked to perfection to be served.




The picnic table has seen better days - but it patiently waits for the family bbq's and crawfish boils. No one seems to mind that it is as old as the hills - it has seen hundreds of people across its benches and mounds of food on its sagging back. It used to be Lady's favorite place to sleep - when she was still able to get up there.




The rock garden (or is it a leaf garden?) is waiting on its spring cleaning... kids have always loved to dig through Jeremy's pile of rocks:




The chiminea waits for the cozy fires (even in the summer) that toast the marshmallows for smores, burn hurricane wood from the oak tree and entertain granny and papa watching the flicker of the flames and glow of the embers for hours after the kids leave:




The garden has been weeded by precious angels and beautiful flowers were planted for our pleasure:








The magnolia tree is blooming in the front yard, its sweet aroma is wonderful and reminds us of the deep southern state we call home:




The bird feeders patiently wait for food to feed their feathered friends. That job is only for pR and papa.






Granny's swing frame sits idly by waiting for a new swing. Does anyone know where we can get a 6 foot cypress swing on a moment's notice?




The kid-sized reading swing is still while waiting for stories to be read, children's laughter and gentle pushes.




The most important swing of all sits idly by waiting on its kids and the swing motor, aka as papa. It has been a family friend for many years:




A couple of the frogs sway in the breeze and smile at me making me think they are happy I am finally home:




And the beast sits in the shop waiting for its daddy to take it for a ride.




All of these things are why we call this home. There is one thing missing - Papa.

6 comments:

Leone Fabre said...

Lovely post Euvah ....

and it is nice to see where and how you live "back home"!

Elizabeth said...

Love this, Sis!

applesofgold said...

:) I love this post....I've been in your backyard, and now I can tell just how special it is to you.

Oswald Chong said...

Nice post! It's good to see how different you live, and how much you've adapted to Singapore (giving up all the wonderful space you have in Oklahoma!). Other than home, the No. 1 people always miss.... FOOD! It just doesn't taste the same! It is this 'back at home taste' that make people miss their home even more. Enjoy!

Pam said...

loved seeing your 'other' home....looks very cozy!! Enjoy the beautiful spring!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Warm up the beast Babe!
I will be home tomorrow afternoon!

I love you
Me