Saturday, April 11, 2009

Flat Stanley Made It!

Dear Nicole and Amanda:


I finally made it to Singapore! That sure was a long flight from Everett to Singapore, and talk about cold in the baggage compartment with all of those letters! I arrived at the Singapore Post and was put on a "Post" motor bike (in the states we call it Post Office) that brought me here to Riveredge.



After I climbed out of the mail box, which is in the basement, I had to climb up 10 flights of stairs because I was too short to push the buttons on the lift (that is what they call an elevator here).


That is a lot of stairs for a little guy to have to climb!



Aunt eb and Uncle Steve didn’t hear me knocking on the door, so I had to crawl under it. When I got through, guess who was taking my picture? Nope, not mom :-(



After all of the introductions and handshakes and hugs and stuff, I sat down to rest for a while. They have a really neat Expat (whatever that is) Living magazine here that I started reading.



It has really neat places to go see around Singapore. Maybe I will ask to go to Bali if I get a chance - it sure does look pretty in the magazine.


After I rested a while, Uncle Steve showed me the view from their balcony. They do have a great view, but it sure is a long way down.



Uncle Steve suggested we go on a hike. Man, I was a bit tired, but I wanted to see the island!


On the way out, I stopped to meet and talk to the guards. Shankar is from Malaysia, which is just North of Singapore and very close - less than 30 miles! He is Aunt eb and Uncle Steve's favorite guard - he has been here since they moved here! Pssst! Look at the 'cup' he has in his hand. Everyone here drinks out of plastic bags with a plastic string tying it closed and a straw coming out. The string makes a handle.



We went to a place called Mount Faber Park.



We wouldn’t call this hill a mountain in Washington, but I guess it is one here.


I saw a statue of a strange animal at Mount Faber; it is part lion and part fish. They call it a Merlion and it is a symbol of Singapore.


Also at Mount Faber we saw a dinning cable car.

People can reserve a private dinning cable car for a romantic round trip ride to Sentosa Island. Wouldn’t that be neat?


I could see Sentosa Island from the lookout at Mount Faber.


We went to a foot bridge called The Henderson Wave.

As you can see from the pictures, it is pretty neat.

We had a great time on our walk, but now I am awfully tired. I think I will go to sleep soon. Aunt eb and Uncle Steve said you will just be waking up, is that really true?

Love,

Stanley Flat (that is how the Asians say their names: The family name is first and the given name is last).

Goodbye Smith Nicole, Smith Amanda, and Smith Nathan :-)

1 comment:

surprisetriplets said...

We're so glad you made it all the way to Singapore Stanley Flat! We miss you but we know you're having fun there without us. Take lots of pictures and we'll see you soon. Remember that you have to come back by June 1st. Love, Nicole.