Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Drs Office Visit

I finally gave in. Since Korea, I have not felt well. I never got over that stinking food poisoning - my stomach is nauseous almost all the time and I don't want to eat. Once I do eat, I am okay; but actually getting to that point is difficult. Last week I had finally realized I probably had diverticulitis again and called my Dr in the states and started his treatment. However, it was showing little improvement, so I knew I need a change in medications.

Finally, I made an appointment with a "Gut and Liver" Dr here, aka a Gastroenterologist in the states. Being apprehensive about going to new Drs, I was unsure of who to even call, but I did get a referral from the other Dr I went to. I called and got an appointment for the next morning. Walking in to the office, I was the only patient in there. The receptionist said you must be... (name here) and I replied that I indeed was. After greeting me, she handed me a paper to fill out; my name, address and hand phone number. Period. Simple as that.

While I was filling it out, a man walked through, and paused to look at me. I was a few minutes early (as I knew I needed to fill out paperwork) and he said, "Mrs ?... I will be with you in just a moment!" The Dr, came through the front door, through the lobby and as he said hi to me, he also greeted his receptionists.

Right away, I was called (by him) to the back. He was very thorough and took 30 minutes of his time to look over my records, explain the treatment, medications, and outlook. When we were finished, we walked with me out to the receptionist, he explained the prescriptions to her, bid me a good day and then he greeted the next patient by name. As they went into his office, he reminded me that I was to call or e-mail if I had any questions or problems.

The receptionist pulled my medications from behind the counter (she had a small pharmacy there) then bagged and marked all of the pills as to what I was supposed to take and when. He came back in to double check her, confirmed we had the right meds and returned to his office. She then explained to me how to take it all.

It was quite a different experience here than in the states. I loved that I didn't have to go to the pharmacy and wait for the prescriptions to be filled either :-) Here is what my medicines look like:



The entire visit cost me just over S $167 (S111.31 US dollars)- including medicines!

What a difference in treatment here. I felt like I was a person instead of a check, I didn't have to wait forever in a waiting room - and I have an e-mail address for direct contact with the Dr in case I have problems or questions! :-)

I feel myself getting better already.

4 comments:

Cajunrose said...

Wow! That is amazing the difference it is over there!

Hope you feel better soon!

surprisetriplets said...

Just that interaction with the doctor probably made you feel better. I hope the meds help you get well so you can enjoy Bali!

Anonymous said...

Was it by chance Dr. Sebastion Leong? Sarah

Oswald Chong said...

There's no pharmacists in Singapore or probably most parts of Asia. So medication is dispensed at the clinic or hospital. The doctors are more personal, and will make decisions for their patients. My family visited many doctors here in the states, we finally found 2-3 doctors that we prefer, someone who give you advices and make decisions for you. It's our preference, having grown up in a place where doctors make all the decisions, and government punishes the doctors and you don't have to go through the law suits yourself.