Sunday, January 25, 2009

Monkeys, MacRitchie Park and the Tree Top Walk

Today we went for a hike. A long hike. Ok, so it was longer than long. This is not for the casual hiker. It is over rough terrain, tons of stairs, and roughly 8.5-9.5 miles. That depends on whose pedometer you look at. I tell him I have to work twice as hard as he does, but he just looks at me with a blank stare. I don't think he believes me.


We started out with a picnic lunch and lots of water. Thank God for that – we needed every drop of it. At the very beginning of the hike, we saw a pack of monkeys and just stood in disbelief. They were everywhere; in every tree, playing on the ground, chasing each other, sitting on boulders, in the path, hanging out above us – eying us for a little treat. Everywhere we looked, there was a monkey. Big ones, little ones, medium sized ones and teeny baby ones. They were adorable!





There are a lot of monkeys in this picture - did you find them?








The forest was full of monkeys - we figured there were at least 40 in this one spot.


We did not give them a treat. We had been warned of the fines of doing so and we are not getting fined in Singapore. God knows what the fine – or prosecution - would be, remember the ‘high court’? I don't break laws.




We walked on a nice quiet path:



We climbed steps:




We went down steps;




We went up steps:




We found the Tree Top Walk. Our kids will never believe I walked across this and didn’t crawl:



But here is proof:



Look below me! Do you see the tree tops? Yes, *I* took this picture!




We both did made the trip across, and he did not have to push me, hold my hand or even pull me :-)






Then we went down steps:


And went down more steps:








We found a tower:


Of COURSE, he said we had to climb it.


Our kids would never believe I took this picture either - but I did :-)



And we had to go down those steps:



We saw some interesting trees:




Some beautiful flowers:



and some turtles who looked like they were fighting and had a mediator between them:




We found some BIG leaves and took a picture for Aedan, Marcus and pR:



And there were monkeys:






Some even smiled for the pictures:


Do you think it was a smile?


One was a bit peeved we didn’t have anything for him:


We went down board walk; SURELY we were coming to an end:



or not:



Finally, after 8 long, relaxing, wonderful hours, we found the end of the trail. Now for the taxi. Ha! That is another story. But we found the Post (office) and a potty at the end of the trail.




Remember all that water we drank?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness.....how on earth did you survive?? When you come back home,you will be able to leap tall buildings at a single bound! Good for you to be able to do all of that. The weight loss definitely helps with your agility, and the exercise helps with the weight loss. You are really looking GOOD! MOLO