Thursday, January 29, 2009

Singapore's Largest Hongbao Lantern

Sarah and I were walking at the mall yesterday, and I was non-chalantly admiring the Chinese New Year decorations as they are still out. Sarah pointed out that this lantern was made with thousands of those little red envelopes (hongbao's) that are given as gifts (with money in them) for the holiday. I posted the statistics on it below so you can see how impressive it is.

Here is a little history behind the envies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_envelope










Thanks Sarah for bringing this to my attention :-)


I went to my first SSA (spouse’s of the company our guys work for) meeting today – what FUN! I met a group of wives of other S hubbies and some of the kiddies. I had already met a few of them and was comfy from the moment I walked in. I enjoyed meeting the rest as they came in, and received a ‘welcome to Singapore package’ from them – and a huge book of 501 Must Visit Cities. It seems like they think we travel or something! Ha! Expats we are called. Actually, I have marked some we need to see ASAP! Lol… Thanks girls, what great gifts! Can’t wait to see you again :-)


I have been "off" for a couple of days. I don't feel bad - just not great. I told Steve last night, I was going to make myself take it easy today and rest. Last night, after a day of meetings, errands and a late supper out, we got home a bit late and I crashed into the bed. Somewhere in the night, I remember moving to turn over and as I lifted my head I pulled a muscle from the base of my head to about 8 inches down my back. I remember the "OW!" and thinking man that is going to hurt tomorrow. I can't believe I gave myself whiplash by turning over! rofl... I can tell it is solely muscle related - but can you believe I did that? What the heck?


I have been climbing 10-12 flights of stairs every day - up and down. Yes, I am doing that intentionally - we do have 'lifts' better known in the states as elevators. However, as a challenge to myself, if I do not get out and do another thing that day, I have to go down stairs and check the always empty mail box and climb up the stairs to get back to the condo. The first 5 flights are easy. The second, not so much, the last three I rest every 10 steps... lol... If I climb more than 10 flights of stairs in a day it is because I did it somewhere else - walking to the store or up/down from the subway.


I also do other exercises during the day and I especially feel the difference in my leg muscles and strength, but I guess after this neck gets better, I need to exercise my neck… ? How do I firm THAT muscle up? hehe. Insanity I tell ya. You turn 50 at it goes downhill from there.


I am looking forward to the weekend. Steve is usually off and we get more time together. I always look forward to being with him. Sometimes I even beat him – at cards, dominoes or Yahtzee, silly! We love playing games and have for years.
Old fuddy duddy’s aren’t we?

CONGRATULATIONS to my BIL who GOT THE JOB!! GO HIM!!!! What an exciting adventure!

1 comment:

Cajunrose said...

That lantern is so neat!!!!

What BIL got what job?