Sunday, January 18, 2009

Felicia You ROCK!

Felicia you are INCREDIBLE! Is it ok to say ‘I love you’ to someone you do not even know? Let me tell you why. There are so many things in Singapore we have bought because we fell in love with them. The beautiful Chinese characters mean nothing to us except beauty – because we have no idea what the characters represent. I love looking at them, I love seeing people write them and I love hearing the language. Living here definitely has its strong points.

Regardless of whether we can read the Chinese writings, if we like it, we buy it. Today we went to our local mall and were looking for some lanterns for a dozen or so school children in the states – but we found something so much more special: Felicia. We did not find the lanterns we were looking for (we needed something very inexpensive), but while we were looking at the beautiful Chinese characters on cards the young lady behind the counter came up to us and starting explaining the meanings. Felicia took time with us, showed us what each character meant, how to hang them for good luck, prosperity and lots of food. She offered to write the meaning of what we bought on the back. Oh, my! We were in for a wonderful surprise!

THIS is what Felicia did. She gave us a sweet (and our first) Chinese New Year card with a very special message in it:





She wrote the characters and explanation in DETAIL on the back of each card:






I sure hope you can read her writing - maybe you can learn something, too!

We are the proud owners of something we can put a meaning to! *DANCES!*

Thank you so much Felicia - I will be back to see you this week :-)



We were also treated to some beautiful instrumental music as well in the mall. I was amazed the wonderful sounds coming from the stage completely surrounding us:




What is this instrument – do you know?

It looks like it has a honey comb on the end of it inside the cylinder.

In China Town last night, Steve bought a lion – it has bells on it and its eyes light up. He loves it:



Any suggestions for HER? Steve was quick to say his lion is a SHE – but I ain’t lookin’:


He peeked and found bells under her tail though ;-)


I also bought a lion, though mine is half the size – but it is mechanical and moves and has cool Chinese music playing. Not quite like the real thing – but it gives you the idea. HE is definitely a HE ‘cause he has men under him dancing.


If you can help us with names, we would love it.

Last night was a little overwhelming to say the least, but I enjoyed it. I love China Town – my favorite shopping area on the island - when it is not so 'jammed'. Amazingly enough though - people were laughing and enjoying the celebration.
When we stopped looking at items to buy, locals were quick to stop and help translate, pick out Chinese musical CD’s – and wish us a Happy Chinese New Year. I will never forget those gracious people. I understand so much more about what I see and I fall a bit more in love every day.
Steve made friends with three young ladies in one of the stores there; always joking with everyone, he didn’t let me down this time. They couldn’t stop giggling and told me if I come back, “bring husband, he makes us laugh much”. Gosh, I love that man!


The decorations at the mall are fun:


And I even found US line dancing:



Doesn’t it look fun? Gotta learn that someday :-)


Another day (or weekend) in paradise. Can you come visit soon?

1 comment:

Rycon Payne said...

I would love to visit, this place looks like a lot of fun. Felicia certainly did something awesome for you. Just having someone that knowledgeable and willing to help is great, and to add to that her being so nice...she must be a great person.

I'm glad you are having a good experience there, isn't it wonderful to take in another culture?