Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Light House... Poinsettias... Louisiana

Just a few thoughts today…

Christmas in south Louisiana; sometimes hot, sometimes not. It is not super hot right now, but it is super humid. Icky, sticky humid.

In Singapore, the humidity has not gotten this bad while I was there. I finally figured out the huge difference in the humidity here. In Singapore it goes makes a rain forest; a plush luxurious plant jungle. Here in Louisiana, the humidity is so bad that it drowns all the plants and keeps dripping until it pools in large areas called swamps. The swamps heat up and steam the people, who sweat and the sweat drips down completing the chain and adding to the swamps.


Singapore has rain forests, monkeys, and beaches. Louisiana has swamps, gumbo, skeeters, and ‘gators – even in the winter. I like Louisiana. It has a certain southern charm that engulfs you. It is nice to come home and enjoy its uniqueness – even if it is humid. Moving away has taught me to look beyond my frustrations of the area and embrace the things I love.

Celia got me this Poinsettia for the holiday. Isn’t it beautiful? If you look carefully on the right, you will see a geranium blooming as well. It has not gotten cold enough here for the summer flowers to quit blooming.



In fact, this is blooming right next to the Poinsettias:


Since it was so nice and warm, Liz and I went to the light house to practice camera shots. Here are a couple pics I took:


Today, I finished cooking banana nut bread. We now have a total of 12 small loaves and 2 large ones. Wonder what we will do with that?

Tomorrow, we start cooking candy. Yum…

I hope everyone is having a great holiday - the frenzy before the calm; the feast before the famine; the Lord before the gifts. Jesus is the reason for this season. In fact, He is the reason I am so blessed to enjoy every sight I see - like the ones above. I hope you feel that way as well. Off to enjoy my family. Merry Saturday.

1 comment:

Mattie said...

Great post, Euvah! Beautiful pics. Love the poinsettias.