Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Fishy Pedicure


Yesterday, it was a girls' day of fun. Pam gave us new 'dos, we went out to lunch, then Pam, Sarah and I went out for a fishy pedicure - you know, where you stick your feet in an aquarium and the fish eat away all the dead skin? Woah was it cool! Sarah had previously had it done, so it was no surprise to her - she just chunked her feet right in. Pam squealed when she put her feet in - I think she was ticklish but was not letting on ;-) She finally got both feet in and in a few moments quit squealing from the tickles - so I braved it up.

The place we went has you 'sanitize' your legs and feet with a disinfectant before you have this done. I was the slow one - still over getting the spray sanitizer when Pam and Sarah plunked their feet in.


I was raised in Greenwood Lake - well, not actually IN the lake - but we were there 12-14 hours a day every day it was open. It is actually a huge, privately owned pond in Oklahoma that a prominent citizen of our community opened to the public. It became our neighborhood 'swimming' hole - every kid in the county must have came there. We had a water slide - long before slides were in - made of painted plywood with 4x4 sides. Sometimes that plywood would leave us a little reminder to be careful; but it was fun and worth the occasional pain.

We had a giant rope swing that tossed us out into the 'lake', both low and high diving boards (my cousins loved to entice me up and then push me off of the high one) and a 'top' anchored close to the center of the 'lake' with a 'steering' wheel properly placed in the center - much like the merry go rounds at the park - with just the wheel in the center and a flat top. We could sit on that top and twirl the wheel for hours, as fast as we could, and make it spin until we started flying off because we got it going too fast - then we would hop on a do it again. We had paddle boats, sandy beaches, trees for shade, snack machines and even a trampoline. We loved going to Greenwood and it was good for us. We were healthy and safe as long as we were at Greenwood.

One other thing about Greenwood is that all healthy ponds have fish. I always assumed they were perch – but now I have no idea - maybe they were carp. If you held still very long, the fish would nibble at you, and sometimes it flat out felt like they took a chunk out of you, but of course they never really did. Since I was 'raised' at Greenwood, I knew all about fishy nibbles. I was prepared when I dunked my feet into that tank. I thought.


Sitting there for the 30 minute fish pedicure, all I could think about was the time we spent at Greenwood. Here I was with two perfectly wonderful friends giggling about the adventure - and I was lost in the past. Johnnie was with me, I was keeping a close eye on my siblings, making sure they were safe, trying to dodge my cousin's dunks and watching the other swimmers to be sure they all stayed afloat - all the while trying to participate in the fun the lake had to offer. Often I would just stand in the distance watching the world go on around me and enjoy the peace the distance and water had to offer – except those darned fish nibbles.

I was honestly nearly speechless yesterday - not from lack of enjoyment, but from the past memories those fish nibbles brought. How many hours did we stand in that lake? Were there THIS many fish? I think so - but I had no idea then I was getting a ‘bodicure’ ;-) Those guys were annoying 35 years ago – who would think I would pay for it now – and enjoy it?


Of course the water at the fishy pedicure is much clearer than a pond, so you can watch these little guys go right to work. When you pull your feet out, they are nearly powdery soft - and you feel so relaxed from watching 'the aquarium' and those busy little fishies. Most of all sitting with friends and enjoying the experience is the best.



If you have not participated in a spa fishy pedi, you need to do it. Shake off those goose bumps, grab a friend and get your fishy pedicure!

It was a fun experience – on my list of must do's I must do this again!- even if it does tickle. No pain involved! :-)

And a HUGE thanks to Sarah and Pam for the use of your cameras - darned scrapbooker here and I forgot my camera? What gives? I know, I am getting old... rofl...

3 comments:

surprisetriplets said...

We used to have fishy pedicure service available here at a local business, but Washington state shut them down because "you can't sanitize the fish". It was wildly popular for the few weeks it was allowed to remain open. They are fighting the government to get it opened back up right now.

Glad you had a fun time! It's going to be a busy week/month for you!

mom2triplets04 said...

Now I have the heevie jeevies. I could never have that fishy pedicure. You are so brave.

BLJ Graves Studio said...

How cool!!!