Saturday, November 22, 2008

Taxi's and Rockin' Roller Coaster...

What do taxi's and Rockin' Roller Coaster have in common? Just when you think you have had the worst taxi driver on the island - you find a taxi driver that beats the last one.

Last night, we all decided to go eat out, usually a weekend ritual. We all met at the bottom of the condo and Steve called for a taxi. Most taxi's are Sonata's, but occasionally we get a Mercedes. We don't have a choice; it is the one sent that accepts the bid when you call. Well, last night it was a white Mercedes, and Steve was all (teasing) bragging it was 'only the best' for me. haha. When it arrived, Nachee got in the front seat, Steve, Dallas and I in the back. Mercedes lack room - the Sonatas are wider. We were quite firmly packed in the car. I was in the center of the back seat; Dallas and Steve on either side of me chatting of course, about work.

If you have ever been to Walt Disney World and rode Rockin' Roller Coaster, that is the nearest I can describe our ride in the Mercedes. Once we were all in, the driver slammed on the gas and off we went; weaving in and out of traffic, slamming on his brakes when he got to the car in front of him, drastically stomping the gas once he got around it and blaring the horn if anyone dared get in his way.

At first Steve and Dallas were deep in conversation and oblivious to the ride, but since I had the center seat so I could see it all. I finally just looked to the side, hoping to not see what was going on. Nachee (in the front) had his knees firmly planted in the dash and holding on. He too was terrified of the ride. I finally made a whispering comment to Steve who started paying attention. The two guys in the back had a strong hold of the 'oh, sh*#!' bars to keep from swaying too much from side to side. I was straddling a hump, praying not to end up in someone's lap.

We had decided to go to Dempsey Hill
http://www.dempseyhill.com/history.htm which is a good ride away from us. Dallas finally told the taxi driver we were NOT in that big of a hurry, but the taxi driver pretended to only hear "HURRY" - and the ride got worse. I KNOW he heard the entire statement. If I thought he was a bad taxi driver before, the last part of the ride only confirmed it.

Once we finally got to the top of Dempsey Hill, Dallas told him to "Stop here".

He kept going.

Dallas repeated that "This is a fine place to stop".

He kept going.

Steve raised his voice and quite firmly and angrily said "STOP! RIGHT NOW! STOP HERE! STOP NOW!!"

The *&#! taxi driver finally stopped, we bailed out the doors, someone staying back to pay him. When I got out, I firmly slammed his door - hoping it went right through to the other side of the car. Not only was I glad to be there alive - I was furious!

There was a couple getting ready to hop in the cab and all of us at once said, "No!" The looked to us for an explanation, but they could see it on our faces. Someone said "if you like living, let this guy go." They thanked us and they walked on. Nachee and I could barely talk for 15 minutes. We walked around deciding on a place to eat while calming down. Italian won. When I finally said something after sitting at a table, it was "Rockin' Roller Coaster - we just rode it". Steve assured me he could not have sped up that fast (0-60 in 2.8 seconds), but it was very close.

If you are in Singapore do not ride in Mercede's 878 if you treasure your life. It certainly IS a thrill ride but seriously lacks the adequate safety of roll over bars, enclosed steel frame, grill guards and snug fitting safety straps... rofl...

No more big favors for me honey - I don't need "only the best" - I would rather take a better chance on arriving alive. Thankfully we did - this time. Thanks for the memories ;-) NOT!

I must tell you considering the amount of times we do ride taxi's, that as a rule, the bad rides are few and far between. The taxi rides for the most part are ok - not like we would drive, but ok. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule
.

I must say, I hope this taxi driver is still trying to open his back door.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only the "BEST" for you Babe!

Cajunrose said...

It made up for the fact that we didn't get to ride rockin roller coaster last time we went to disney..LOL