Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Picture Taking Abilities Are Seriously Lacking :-(

My friends and I went to the Paranakan Museum today and of course I left my tripod at home. Carrying all of this stuff makes my back and neck hurt, and frankly I just did not feel like dragging 2 more pounds - not that it would have helped anyway. That with the fact "no flashes allowed" made for a not so good picture taking day.


There was so many beautiful things there I wish I had actually gotten more than a handful of shots, but it is what it is, so I will have to wait for some lessons from someone. Until that time, you will have to be amused - and you will be amused - at my abilities, or shall I say lack thereof? I won't get discouraged yet, but I do roll my eyes and wish I could just figure this out. I must have a mental block - like a brain glitch that will not let me figure it out. Sometimes it clicks. It hasn't. In the meantime, please feel free to be amused.

I only have a few pictures to share today.
They Paranakans are/were scrapbookers!

Just look at the intricate designs:
The colors and the beading are my favorite:
Apparently, I am really good at taking pictures reflections. Look at the pictures below. Yes, I know they are nowhere near clear - but pretend just for a moment. I love that little guys face:
Now I was trying to get another picture and apparently I am very good getting pictures of reflections. The reflection you are seeing are reflections of people in some of the pictures like the ones above. It is not a double exposure - isn't it funny?
Again, the whole reflection thing. The intricate pieces did not come out, but the reflection did.
My favorite camera shop loves me - or maybe it is my money. They are so good natured. I went and asked for a lens that would capture the size of the BIG buildings in Singapore. Samuel said he had just the lens for me and put it on my camera.
He said "go walk around the mall and see if it works for you!".
I did. It did.
I walked back in, and handed him my camera to remove his lens and he asked if I liked it, I said yes and ask how much? He said the lens was S$900.00 as he aimed and clicked the picture just as I said, "you suck".
YIKES! NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS??
I am not a pro - heck at the looks of things, I am not even an amateur. Wowsers! *GULP*

Gotta love the guys in the shop though - they are all a blast to work with. Can you tell?
Yes, they laugh with me. They have no idea of my lack of abilities, just my desire to want to take great pictures :-) I am sure spending money in there does not hurt either. However, I am not ready to spend THAT much money. I have to get much better with my camera first ;-)
Again, I say my camera abilities are called "dumb luck photography". Someday I will get it. Some day.
I would love to find lessons here in Singapore after the first of the year. Someone that has lots of patience. Know of anyone?

1 comment:

surprisetriplets said...

I hear that having a polarizing filter minimizes reflections in pictures. I don't know how it would work though if it's tinted and you can't use a flash.

They are great pictures in spite of the reflections!